Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you went back to just one eyepiece, what would it be?

Alan White

53 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

TeleVue Panoptic 24mm

nice low power for sweeping the skies

Excellent choice Jeremy, and would be mine also, but just pipped by the the 13 Nagler. ( I will have to sneak mine into the other pocket I think).

• Haha 2

I tend to feel that a zoom plus a barlow, under this fantasy/horror scenario, is the only option which enables a decent range of observing possibilities, even if there are a few compromises.

If I had to pick just a single fixed focal length eyepiece I guess it would have to be the 13mm Ethos. With my 12 inch dob that gives me 122x and .8 of a degree true field so it is useful for a reasonably wide range of observing targets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Excellent choice Jeremy, and would be mine also, but just pipped by the the 13 Nagler. ( I will have to sneak mine into the other pocket I think).

You will be frisked and any extraneous Eyepieces will be confiscated!
Every class has a naughty one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it would largely depend on which scope, what works on the LX200 12 inch would be very wide on the 805mm APO. So I will take my 18 inch Dob F4.3 and select the 21mm Ethos, superb eyepiece that sadly has not been used this year along with 24 friends from the same family.

Alan

• Like 1

Ok..............first it’s one scope, now just one EP............

...................IF I HAVE NIGHTMARES TONIGHT IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT.  GOT IT ?    😁😁😁😁

Seriously now, to go with my one scope 8” f6,  I’d have my 19 Pano plus my 2x barlow.   I could just about scrape by with that......and life would be simpler as a result.

Thanks for starting this off, cheers from Ed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

...................IF I HAVE NIGHTMARES TONIGHT IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT.  GOT IT ?    😁😁😁😁

Sorry Ed.

In reality it set off my dreaming last night and it was terrible!
Who would of thought it eh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Oh no, in an eyepiece apocalypse you are only allowed to have one...

have no choice but make the ultimate sacrifice and forgo the Speers, just have the Baader. 

• Like 2

My first thought was also 13mm Nagler.  It's probably the first one out of the case when I'm packing to go on holiday and taking a telescope (or two).

I'm quite fond of my Panoptics though, and I can certainly see the appeal of one of those.  And I do like my 18mm and 12mm BGOs, but I think the limited FOV would mean I'd have to pass on them if I were restricted to just a single eyepiece.

James

• Like 1

Zooms not allowed @Paul73?

This is the 'one eyepiece' thread, not the 'one scope' thread, so could I go with your 17mm Ethos and then a range of scopes from say 400mm (Esprit 80) to 4000mm focal length (OMC2000)? That would give me x23 to x235 and fovs from 4.3 to 0.43 degrees. That should cover it, and a perfect excuse for a shed load of scopes 👍👍🤣🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

I'd want a Morpheus 17.5 to use it with five or so telescopes ranging from 500 to 3000 mm.

Of course keeping one eyepiece is easy if you have several varying focal length scopes to put it in 😂. If I am keeping all my scopes and only one eyepiece it’s the 10mm Pentax XW, if I can have a 2x Barlow then the 17.5 morpheus stays instead of the Pentax 😃. The real challenge is if you can only keep one scope and one eyepiece what would that combo be? Maybe that’s the next thread? Btw I took my travel scope to Sorrento where I’m on holiday and guess what there is cloud right where I’m staying. It’s clear everywhere else 🙄I took a pic. That said the other night I managed quite a few southern messiers - 4 to 26 and then a few more. Still love m11 and the swan nebula - what is it about the messier birds 😜

B588B95E-E20A-4FDA-A855-7A179639EFB4.jpeg

Edited by Trikeflyer
  • Like 2

Impossible really, but after much thought, I'd go for my 20mm Meade 5000 UWA (2").  It gives low mag in the fracs with nice wide FOV and decent exit pupil for fuzzies.  Best in the Dob - medium mag, not bad FOV, and again decent exit pupil.  And for higher mag, it's great in the 8SE.

But I don't usually swap 'scopes around in a session, so although it's a good all-rounder, one EP would just never do!

Doug.

• Like 1

Ah here!  Are we allowed multiple scopes now, or is this the next step after the single scope thread - pick just one EP to use with it?!! :D

Scope 15" f4.4, EP = 10E - the basis of my EP set ;)

3 hours ago, JamesF said:

My first thought was also 13mm Nagler.  It's probably the first one out of the case when I'm packing to go on holiday and taking a telescope (or two).

I'm quite fond of my Panoptics though, and I can certainly see the appeal of one of those.  And I do like my 18mm and 12mm BGOs, but I think the limited FOV would mean I'd have to pass on them if I were restricted to just a single eyepiece.

James

You used to be indecisive @JamesF, but are not so sure anymore 😂

So come on which of the herd is 'The One'?

2 hours ago, niallk said:

Ah here!  Are we allowed multiple scopes now, or is this the next step after the single scope thread - pick just one EP to use with it?!! :D

Scope 15" f4.4, EP = 10E - the basis of my EP set ;)

No separate thread, you can have a multitude of scopes but just one Eyepiece to use with them all!

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

its a hard world when a zoom isn't included, I couldn't cope with a single EP its like having a monocycle with one spoke 😀.  

Charl, you can choose a Zoom, the world is your UniCycle Oyster so to speak!

• Like 1

Just now, Alan White said:

You used to be indecisive @JamesF, but are not so sure anymore 😂

So come on which of the herd is 'The One'?

Oh, the Nagler I reckon.  If I know I'm going to have a restricted number of eyepieces, that's always the one I get first.

James

• Thanks 1