Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tomatobro

My first line of code in Python

I just wrote my first line of code in Python. I do not know what to do next but I will think of something (apologies to the Ape and the monolith of intelligence.....)

Such a tease!

I at least expected to see that first line of your Python code :D

• Like 1

>>> Print ("Hello Tomatobro")

I am still to decide what the best editor to use in Ubuntu, any suggestions?

Edited by Tomatobro
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

>>> Print ("Hello Tomatobro")

You're not a coder unless it says "Hello World" :D

I use vim when im on linux, but im usually restricted to terminal access. Im sure there must be more modern solutions out there but I just got used to it.

My fav editor for a GUI environment is Sublime

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lately I use VS Code (on both linux and windows) - it feels lightweight enough and powerful enough for my needs ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

I just wrote my first line of code in Python. I do not know what to do next

Probably use spaces to indent the following line!

• Like 1

I use vi/vim for editing on Linux.  I spent eight years after I graduated porting code to all sorts of UNIX-like hardware and vi was the only editor you could be fairly sure would be on the target system, so learning to use it was the path of least resistance.  I'm not sure I'd describe it as "learner-friendly" though.

James

For my level of coding nano works great.  Its about as basic as it gets no frills.

Just had a tinker with VS code, a whacking 29gig download for the lot😲, lucky I’m on a decent fibre conn.

Steve

9 hours ago, Gasman said:

Just had a tinker with VS code, a whacking 29gig download for the lot😲, lucky I’m on a decent fibre conn.

Steve

At least its not on xbox - then it would need a 29gig update every week! 🤣

I've always stayed away from VS/VB stuff - most of my coding was for web so PHP etc - luckily never really needed any big bulky editors/ides - largest platform I used was PHPStorm which was very nice at project management, great IDE once it was setup how I liked to work still prefered sublime/vi though

12 hours ago, Gasman said:

Steve

What are you downloading? Maybe complete VisualStudio?

VSCode is completely separate product - open source editor. When I start installer download for Windows platform it is only 50Mb.

https://code.visualstudio.com/

On 30/07/2019 at 18:16, Tomatobro said:

"Best" would be highly subjective. But I can add a suggestion.

Most of my dev work is done in a lightweight vi clone called vile (having used it for nearly 30 years).
However I found in recent years that Python work is more easily done in IdleX, which is an extension of the Idle editor (which comes with stock Python). It has builtin shell, editor, both with completion, documentation viewer linked to them, and ability to execute fragments of files being edited. Its editor lacks the much-loved vi feel (for me), and is instead a rather neutral notepad-like more suited to anyone.

Edited by rotatux
typo

4 hours ago, vlaiv said:

What are you downloading? Maybe complete VisualStudio?

Yes, thought it was a good idea at the time 🤔

Steve