Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JTW Astronomy Mount - Looks Interesting

Kaliska

10 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I've got a friend waiting for his.. hope it performs straight from the off   seems like a eternity he's been waiting...paid for months ago..

Yep... On their Facebook page, under that post in the comments, they have explained, -

"JTW Astronomy: The OGEM wasn't released for sale as the performance wasn't to the standard we promised. It was OK but we were aiming higher."

Lets hope they fixed all the issues on this one and we will have one more nice competitor on the market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

Any idea how much was it for "early backers" to buy?

It's now confirmed, the OGEM will launch at ATT 2018!

A 100 kg payload friction drive mount, retailing for 2899,99 euros (approx. 2550 gbp or 3600 usd). This will open up a whole new category of aperture to amateur astronomers in this price class and even support European manufacturers.

Featuring an oversized drive wheel - 270 mm diameter, no backlash, the new open source FreeGo2 controller. On-board Bluetooth and the option to upgrade to absolute or incremental encoders as standard.

For more info please mail us - info@jtwastronomy.com

P.S.

I think they always write prices with VAT included.

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kaliska said:

Is that the tripod which comes for a mount for 100 kg payload ? Looks a bit flimsy to me ... a Losmandy type tripod would be much more adequate, like this one 

Now payload means according to what I know the total admissible weight something can carry  ad in this case it would be Telescope equipment plus counterweights or are they using Payload just for telescope equipment plus additionally counterweights ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/payload 

fhd-ma.jpg

My guess is that they have just used a Skywatcher EQ6 tripod for testing purposes. With the Pound getting close to parity with the Euro it will be interesting to see what the price is when it becomes available

4 hours ago, RolandKol said:

Yep... On their Facebook page, under that post in the comments, they have explained, -

"JTW Astronomy: The OGEM wasn't released for sale as the performance wasn't to the standard we promised. It was OK but we were aiming higher."

Lets hope they fixed all the issues on this one and we will have one more nice competitor on the market.

They wasn't very good on their communication.. I'm sure it's going to be really good now they totally changed the handset..seems like they're not cutting any corners..think the motors were €600 each..

Looking very good and hopefully worth the wait..

2 hours ago, Rainer said:

Is that the tripod which comes for a mount for 100 kg payload ? Looks a bit flimsy to me ... a Losmandy type tripod would be much more adequate, like this one 

Now payload means according to what I know the total admissible weight something can carry  ad in this case it would be Telescope equipment plus counterweights or are they using Payload just for telescope equipment plus additionally counterweights ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/payload 

As per their Facebook comments, they tested the mount on the pier and used SW tripod to make a picture....

Edited by RolandKol

42 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

As per their Facebook comments, they tested the mount on the pier and used SW tripod to make a picture....

Thanks. I looked at thei webpage but no signs there of that mount .

Now is the admisible load 100 kg with NO counterweights ?

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Rainer said:

Thanks. I looked at thei webpage but no signs there of that mount .

Now is the admisible load 100 kg with NO counterweights ?

Thanks

It was used to be called the OGEM mount because they were intending to use a different operating system called FreeGO2 but their testing in Spain showed it had some limitations to about +/-0.5".  As such they redesigned it to use the Sitech controller which also meant a redesign to the mechanism so that is a fully friction surface - they call it a fully kinematic friction drive which apparently the Mesu is not and hence why might not be breaking any patents.

100kg is the instrument weight but the recommended payload is 75kg (obviously that depends on your moment as well).

Note that plots are non-encoder guided version of the mount as well which is something to keep in mind (encoders are an upgrade).  You can also upgrade to a hardened drive which they only generally recommend in areas with very high humidity (by the sea) or with lots of potential sharp, hard dusts (deserts etc).

The price I think is a bit higher now than previously because of the improvements.  They held the prices for the early birds to reward the patience.  

As for communication I think Mark freely admits he has not much clue when it comes to advertising.  I think he prefers to be seen as a perfectionist engineer first.  However, when communicating directly he is more than helpful.  He's just used to dealing with astronomers more than the consumer.  Astronomers are both easier and harder to get on with.  They want everything to be perfect but will wait to get it!  They are the type of company / person that it isn't very good to ask a generic question but will give you reams of detail if you have shown more thought in what you need.

Another great value mount can only be a good thing in my mind. I’m looking forward to the early adopters thoughts and experiences of the mount. 

Certainly at the price they are proposing to sell the mount for and with a Sitech controller now being used it should provide reasonable competition to the ‘other’ mount.

I just hope they can maintain a decent level of quality control and provide good back up when things  will go south.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Robindonne said:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3668385146550363&id=174295462626033&set=pcb.3668407113214833&source=49

in the category of always overmount, this mount showed up as a good alternative for the premium-becoming eastern mounts.

100kg payload for under €3000,-

is anyone using one of their products?  

You may want to view this thread - 

it’s an interesting design, just too similar to the Mesu, which is a known quantity. Also the pre production models had a fair delay, and didn’t get released until JTW were happy with the results. Part of the reason I decided to go with the Mesu.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Didnt know there were multiple threads about this mount.   Some read frustration i can understand, but mmm dont know what’s more harming.   Too soon released mounts can give frustration x 1000.   Opening the mount category on CN looks like its filled with the new CEM mounts.   Once released there is no way back.  

But my biggest question is: Are there users among us.  And are they satisfied?

As far as I know the first one was delivered about 2-3 weeks ago, and judging on the silence I wouldn't expect there's anymore out there..

I wouldn't entertain it personally... friend is still awaiting on his, and several other paid in full customers ..

Oh thats really not long ago, 2-3 weeks. Well the first reviews will come in the next weeks i assume.  If you’re waiting for years it must have been a pain, but when you just step in the market for a good solid mount you are fresh minded and all that matters is that it is a well tested and reliable mount.  

thx for the update newbie alert!

• 1 year later...
On 17/03/2021 at 02:44, newbie alert said:

As far as I know the first one was delivered about 2-3 weeks ago, and judging on the silence I wouldn't expect there's anymore out there..

I wouldn't entertain it personally... friend is still awaiting on his, and several other paid in full customers ..

Are you telling me your friend has been waiting since 2019 for his mount?! I made full payment back in September last year for a mount (I'm in Australia) - seeing these replies is not filling me with much hope :(

Cheers, Mike

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Mike M said:

People are starting to receive their Trident P75 mounts now as production ramps up - mine will be shipping by mid next month.

Cheers, Mike

Are you confident on that Mike?

Note the date on the first thread..

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 07:18, newbie alert said:

Are you confident on that Mike?

Note the date on the first thread..

Yeah the first reviews are starting to appear now.  Peter from Roboscopes has just posted a review and it looks pretty promising so far:

Day 1 initial tests:
https://groups.io/g/jtw-astronomy-users/message/67

Day 2 further tweaking
https://groups.io/g/jtw-astronomy-users/message/72

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1