SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter, GRS, Io transit 29th July

dweller25

3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Another chance to see the GRS plus Io and its shadow transiting tonight.....

Plus a meteor shower 👍

Awesome, can I ask what time for the transit?  And can you believe its forecast clear.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

GRS start approx 8 pm finish approx 11.40 pm

Io start  9.40 pm ish

Courtesy of Sky safari on Android

Many thanks. Scope setup but skies cloudy.....so much for the forecast

Io on the disk now - just visible while it's crossing the area where limb darkening is in evidence. Its transit line seems to be along the N side of the NEB. If it stays partially over the NEB that will help to spot it further across the disk.

I'll loose Jupiter behind some big trees in about 30-40 mins so I'll have to wait for a while to catch up with the shadow transit. Assuming that the clouds keep off.

The seeing is OK but nothing too special here. I'm using the Vixen 4 inch ED at about 100x - 120x.

• Like 1

Managed to observe Jupiter and the GRS before the sky became completely clouded. No Io transit though. The seeing was average and windy. Oh well, next time.

Wish the best luck to those who manage to observe this event! :)

• Like 1

I caught it for 15 mins between patchy cloud and rain which was moving across., using my grab 'n go (127 Mak, 8-24mm zoom and Vixen Porta2 mount). 

The GRS was very clear and well defined, with Io intermittently visible above the GRS and the sharpish shadow close to the edge of the disk. Unfortunately as Jupiter started to set behind some pines, the seeing went to some extent so I headed back inside.

Well worth the look though!

Chris

• Like 2

7 hours ago, knobby said:

Clouded out in Essex 😒

Indeed it was.   4 of us went to our dark site on the east Essex coast.    With all 3 forecasts I use predicting it would be completely clear, but it most definitely was not 😢 just a very few holes in the cloud that rapidly filled in.

But we did briefly catch the GRS and the shadow transit, and some DSO’s in all too short holes in that pesky cloud....

Ed.

• Like 3

Well done Ed, admire your commitment ! It was the first time I've lifted my C8 up onto the AVX since damaging my shoulder so even though it saw just clouds at least it was a milestone on the recovery trail 👍

• Like 1

I missed the shadow transit because Jupiter had got to low before it was visible after coming out from behind the trees. I did get another clear "hole" later and managed some views of Saturn and 3 or 4 of it's moons plus a slew of Summer favourite DSO's and binary stars with the 4 inch Vixen for my final 45 minutes of observing.

When you wake up to rain and heavy grey clouds, as I have this morning, it makes you glad you made the effort to chisel out some sort of observing session the night before ! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knobby said:

Well done Ed, admire your commitment ! It was the first time I've lifted my C8 up onto the AVX since damaging my shoulder so even though it saw just clouds at least it was a milestone on the recovery trail 👍

Sorry I’d forgotten the injury but now recall hearing something about that, hopefully your recovery will continue 🤒

Ed.

• Like 1

Managed to get the shadow (and a beautifully coloured GRS) through some of the worst seeing conditions I’ve encountered for a while (and then cloud cover). I couldn’t make out Io on the disc though - I just wasn’t going to get such subtle contrast in those conditions.

It was like watching the sky through a boiling kettle!!

• Like 1