Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Coastliner

AZ-EQ5 + Polemaster balance problem.

Hi All,

I'm trying to balance my AZ-EQ5 as perfectly as I can, all was going well (all 3 axes) until I added the Polemaster. As this is off-axis it applies torque to the RA causing the axis to rotate until the Polemaster is hanging at the lowest point.

I need to couterbalance this, any ideas how?

or,

Do I need to counterbalance this? Am I being too picky?

I have considered taking the arm off and gluing the Polemaster onto the on-axis point of the top cover, but again, is this overkill?

Thanks,

Neil.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Yogesh
      Hi 
      I am looking for the QHY Polemaster for doing polar alignment. If you have one and no longer need it please send me a message and I will get back.

Thanks and Regards
      Yogesh
    • By Greg6498
      After adding several large two-inch eyepieces and an Explore Scientific illuminated finder scope, my dob was quite top heavy. To remedy this, I added two 18” bar magnets to the bottom portion of the scope. Balance now seems nearly perfect! Got this idea from another post I read a while back on SGL!

• By Coastliner
      Hi All,
      If I grab hold of the puck on my AZEQ5 I can make it rock back and forth by a degree or so (DEC axis), there appears to be no play in the RA axis. Does anyone else have this? Can it be adjusted out?
      Thanks,
      Neil.
    • By alexbb
      Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing.
      I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance.
      Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process.
      Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that.

Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside.

The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor.

The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case.

Parts: RA main gear, worm case.

Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too.

Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic.

You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry.
      The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width.
      Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm.

Hope someone finds this useful.
      I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5.
      Clear skies!
      Alex
    • By Demonperformer
      Setting up all the software on my win10 laptop and getting things to talk to one another is a nightmare.
      I'm starting a new thread, so I can post all the problems I am having, one at a time, so issues don't get confused. This will also hopefully help anyone coming to similar situations later, as the problems and answers will not be interlaced.
      First issue: APT does not detect ZWO camera.
      I have got the camera (ZWO) drivers installed and sharpcap can see it and will connect to it properly. However, when I try to connect the camera in APT, the only CCD options it gives me are SBIG (which it isn't), QSI (which it isn't) and ASCOM. Now it shouldn't need to use an ascom driver, because the proper driver is installed, but I give it a go anyway, and this just offers me 2 simulators and 3 QHY cameras (I have one qhy driver installed for the guidecam .... I'll get to that later!). I have disconnected both the filterwheel and guide camera from the camera hub, so they cannot be interefering with the process.
      I am at a total loss ... any suggestions?
      Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.