Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker Alignment.

Haha -30 to keep everything constant  :) -1 and im already dead!

Do your cables freeze up rigid in -30 + that must be a problem. Maybe a small wooden hand made shed with sliding roof would stop that add +15c to the temp :)

I would make sure its all greased up well so really then you don't really need a cooler only to keep it constant. Bit like why you need a freezer up there in winter not to keep it cool but to stop everything from freezing.

I guess in midwinter you can image for 17 hours of the day?

Thanks for the link I will check that now. I am away Tuesday for a week so catch up with you then hopefully.

Cheers David

7 hours ago, Prolifics said:

I guess in midwinter you can image for 17 hours of the day?

I wish. Work gets in the way, and darkness isn't quite that long.

Clear skies.

I have been playing with numbers and will be doing 60 x 2 Min of Lum and 15 x 4 mim of RGB just about fit that in the darkness of August month.

What formulae do you use for Narrow band? I guess the exposure time is double of RGB but what about the Lum?

Another question my scope has a focal length of 700mm and i put this in APT so platesolving will work etc. When I get my x0.79 Flattener/Reducer do I put into my programs the new focal Length for example 700mm x 0.79 = 553mm ?

This is the link to small spacers to get my backfoucs perfect I just need 1mm + or - :)

https://www.365astronomy.com/baader-t-2-delrin-setting-rings-adjustment-spacer-rings-15-pieces.html

Kindest regards David

Edited by Prolifics

36 minutes ago, Prolifics said:

What formulae do you use for Narrow band? I guess the exposure time is double of RGB but what about the Lum?

I rarely ever do narrowband, and then only Ha. You should probably check out astrobin for nb images with a setup similar to yours. In general, nb uses a high gain of 200 - 300 and exposures that keep the background over the read noise "floor". Just remember that at high gain you have a low dynamic range, and you'll need more exposures to compensate for that.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Prolifics said:

When I get my x0.79 Flattener/Reducer do I put into my programs the new focal Length for example 700mm x 0.79 = 553mm ?

Yes.  A program only needs info about your focal length, not how that focal length is reached. Only if the program asks for any reducers or barlows, will you need to enter the original fl and the reduction factor. The program will then do the math.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2019 at 16:02, Prolifics said:

I put them in deepsky stacker and made a reference frame for each of LRGB images and got them all to stack fine and saved them as L.tiff R.tiff G.tiff and B.tiff. Each colour are aligned fine. (now each colour are all the same way up)

You need to use the same reference frame for all images. It doesn't matter if the reference frame is (e.g.) Red and you are stacking Blue, just uncheck it and check the blue images and tell it to 'stack images'. The unchecked red frame will be used as refernec but not included in teh stack.

This will align them all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

A reference frame is one that you select from your set which is the best; clearest; sharpest image. All other frames are then compared to this 'reference frame' and graded from best to worst.

HTH

Edited by Stargazer33

1 minute ago, Stargazer33 said:

A reference frame is one that you select from your set which is the best; clearest; sharpest image. All other frames are then compared to this 'reference frame' and graded from best to worst.

HTH

Ok cheers, what's then best way of selecting said frame?

1 hour ago, mark skelton said:

Ok cheers, what's then best way of selecting said frame?

Do a 'register checked pictures' but without 'stack X% of pictures' ticked.

Right click on the frame with the highest score and  choose 'set as reference frame'.

5 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

HTH

This is not correct. The reference frame is the frame against which all other stacked frames will align. It is used so that you can use a single reference frame from a set of R,G and B images to ensure the individual stacks are aligned to each other. The reference frame is not used as the standard against which other frames are scored.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie said:

This is not correct. The reference frame is the frame against which all other stacked frames will align. It is used so that you can use a single reference frame from a set of R,G and B images to ensure the individual stacks are aligned to each other. The reference frame is not used as the standard against which other frames are scored.

Ah, thank you! (please see tag line) 🤔

Edited by Stargazer33