SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some recent Jupiters...

Kokatha man

Hi all - checking in for the first time in ages...seems I last posted images on April 4th this year although I have made the odd comment in other folks' threads in the meantime: plenty of images since then, too many to post here tbh but I thought it worthwhile to concentrate upon those we obtained over 4 nights in late June at Natimuk in the west Wimmera region of Victoria...a quick (400km) trip there at the time because the GFS predicted a hole in the wall-to-wall carpet of clouds engulfing South Australia at the time. (not much has changed since, being honest! :lol: )

Anyway, the forecast were correct & here they are...I wont include the full-sized images but I will post the 4 rgb images together & then each with its corresponding individual channels - they'll all probably need clicking on anyway - also an enlargement of the GRS where so much activity as been occurring over the last few months...

j2019-06-20-22-23-25_rgb.png

GRS-20th_22nd_25thJune.png

• Like 23

Too large in file-sizing to post all images in a single post...here are the individual rgb's with their accompanying individual channels...of the 4 nights the 23rd was the poorest but still quite acceptable.

Some nice blue channels reflecting the seeing btw. ;)

j2019-06-20_14-27_rgb_dpm@100%+Channels.png

j2019-06-22_14-58_rgb_dpm@100%+Channels.png

j2019-06-23_12-47_rgb_dpm@100%+Channels.png

j2019-06-25_12-54_rgb_dpm@100%+Channels.png

• Like 19

Hi Neil, yes, the C14 & either the ASI290MM mono camera + EFW - or when clouds are a threat (constantly this year & in these images in particular) the ASI224MC colour camera.

Thanks also Stu! :)

Here's an animation from the June 20th data. ;)

Jup_134419_L_200619-ANIMEat100pc.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Where location are you taking these at?

Ooh!  I know this!  (Because I just had to check it myself, my knowledge of Australian geography not being that hot :)

About halfway-ish between Melbourne and Adelaide, by the looks of it.

I'm amazed that Darryl drives 400km to do this, though.  I'm reminded of the "Hitchhiker's Guide" quote:

"You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to Australians"

Something like that, anyhow :)

James

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

400 km drive for astro, blimey I get a cold sweat going 15 miles to a darker site!

Lol, I can't be bothered to push my Dob out onto the front lawn some nights! 🤣

• Haha 3

Thanks very much for the compliments people! :)

Yes, James is correct, about halfway between Adelaide & Melbourne: we often image at a tiny place called Carrieton which is near the Flinders Ranges & almost the same distance from our place, so not really any difference there...a 7 hour drive roughly.

Our prime imaging locations are at home when the weather permits, 200km away in the Murray Mallee usually at Sedan...or the 400km trip to Carrieton etc, with another couple of locations thrown in for variety at times! ;) 

In fact we were up at Hawker last week, another 70km further on than Carrieton...the first time in ages where the GRS hasn't been on display for us..! :lol: 

Natimuk did  really turn on the seeing while we were there, beautiful country also - & did quite a lot of driving & walking around the district too! :)

This time of the year if it is cloudy & we're away, a nice roaring campfire is a good alternative. :) 

...not quite sure whether you are referring to the so-called "blades" or "flakes" the appear to peel off the GRS itself - or one of the other phenomena Stu..? In any case the most recent Jovian images we have are from July 15th where the GRS is not on show.

Perhaps the aspect you mention is on one of our earlier images - apart from these at the top of the page they nearly all feature the GRS in descending date order for 2019:  https://momilika.net/WebPages/Jupiter2019Pics.htm  

10 minutes ago, Kokatha man said:

...not quite sure whether you are referring to the so-called "blades" or "flakes" the appear to peel off the GRS itself - or one of the other phenomena Stu..? In any case the most recent Jovian images we have are from July 15th where the GRS is not on show.

Perhaps the aspect you mention is on one of our earlier images - apart from these at the top of the page they nearly all feature the GRS in descending date order for 2019:  https://momilika.net/WebPages/Jupiter2019Pics.htm  

Thanks Daryl. Hopefully these two images show what I'm referring to. Not sure how to describe it so pictures should help!

20190726_102435.jpg

20190726_102501.jpg

It's embarrassing to post my pics in the same thread as Darryl, but in my defence these are all with Jupiter about 15 degrees up with a 150PL...

28 June 2018 the 'split' is over 1/4 of the circumference:

jupiter.thumb.png.375a13d9bbb651ca515c315a6fa2a870.png

20 July 2019, no sign of it at all:

1639434940_Jupiter20July10.png.2dfeec2c18b5f656337ac65e1fa52dc8.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's embarrassing to post my pics in the same thread as Darryl, but in my defence these are all with Jupiter about 15 degrees up with a 150PL...

28 June 2018 the 'split' is over 1/4 of the circumference:

jupiter.thumb.png.375a13d9bbb651ca515c315a6fa2a870.png

20 July 2019, no sign of it at all:

1639434940_Jupiter20July10.png.2dfeec2c18b5f656337ac65e1fa52dc8.png

Thanks Neil. The interesting thing is that John and I spotted this in July (on the 11th I think) this year and not that long afterwards it had gone again.

• Like 1

...I'm reading your 2 images as signifying that the strong red-brown band running east from the N-E side of the GRS Hollow is the only notable band of colour, with the area immediately below & to the East (right) of the GRS clear (or bluish-white) as in your 1st image - as opposed to the light red/brown for all that region to the East (right) of the GRS in your 2nd image...or in our own images those regions that exhibit a brownish-red with southerly projections emanating from it in "curls" etc that we've termed "whiskers" at times....?

If so, although we do not have images from mid-July, if you examine our earlier images from further down the page in the link I gave above you will find that there are several images where the region to the East (right) of the GRS was either devoid (or almost devoid) of colour at times giving an appearance of clean separation from the GRS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1