Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ive just got a 450D now what do i need ???

Kai

I have worked out how to set the camera to take 30 sec exposures with both the laptop and Camera , but to increase this time what is the easiest way ???

Is it to get a remote or a adaptor cable to the Laptop (or both to give me the maximum flexibility)

How do i set a sequence of shots ie 10x 30 secs ???

Anything else i need to know ???

Cheers

Steve

Hi Kai,

I'm pretty certain that you have all you need to do long exposure timed sequences uisng the software that coems with the 450D.

The earleir models needed a sererate cable to do exposures longer than 30s the 450D can open and close the shutter in builb mopde over USB

Have a look here - its a how to mod faq... you know you want to :) but also shows you how to do long exposues sequences...

Billy...

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d13.html

Billy

The 450 is the wifes and its 6 days old !!!!!

There is no way on earth she will let me mod it , no honestly there IS NO WAY !!!! :)

The software that is suppiled gives me 30 secs as far as i can tell , but i will have another check.This would be excellent if i can as i wouldnt need anthing else. :thumbright:

As for a seperate remote for the times i dont want to use the laptop, i suppose a Canon Rs60e3 should be fine.

The ebay one is the one i use its basically a rip-off of the Nikon MC-36 but with the connector for a different camera fitted - they even copy the text of the nikon manual and block out the nikon bits...

Handy for me as I already had a genuine MC-36 so know my way round it...

THe EOS Utility willl do bulb mode release over USB ...

10622_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

But as you don't want to use the lappy this is "academic"... :)

Billy...

Just remembered one other funny...

One think I have found with it ...

If the camera isn't releasing the shutter but the display on the remote seems to be still functioning normally... change the batteries in the remote... usually works for me...

No Probs...

I'm thinking of getting a 1000D for the same reason...to use on the SCT and fitting a 500mm f5.6 lens with the DSi as the guidescope...

So then I'd have the modded 350D on the Meg72 FF IIi IDAS combo and the un-modded 1000D on the SCT with the lumicon Deepsky... hmmmmm

Billy...

Steve, I have an ebay timer remote and have used it extensively. It's about £25-£30, the shipping is quite steep, but that's to get the price in under the customs limit. It's a clone of the canon remote that costs about £120. This is the beast... All my images shot at prime were taken using it.

Hi kai - I use the 450d myself - I find the live view is more than adequate for focus (and preset on a bright star if that helps. I also use the intervalometer off ebay mentioned above. Provided you have a big enough memory card ( I use 2gb and it lasts all night on RAW for certainly more expousres than I have taken) you really shouldn't need to link to a laptop, no no other extraneous cables (other than the 'meter).

I use an PalmV to control capture with my EOS350. I made my own cable and the Palm software is freeware. It's portable and I can program any exposure and number of images. If you have an Palm pilot it's a great way of getting use out of it!

If anyone is interested I posted details on the Projects pag of my website

Cheers

Danny

Archived