Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS Transit tonight - 24th July 2019

Stu

Actually got some views for a change, albeit through thin cloud. I'll get another 20 mins or so before Jupiter goes behind the trees then it's bye bye to it for an hour.

Using the Tak FC 100 / Pentax XW 7mm this evening. Comfortable and quality views !

Thanks for the heads up Stu :smiley:

• Like 1

Nice views here when the seeing steadies. Good detail around GRS and it looks quite a nice rich orange colour too.

Slightly surreal, but very pleasant observing whilst listening to Madness playing at Sandown Park about a mile away. Very good they sound too!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, John said:

"Welcome to the House of Fun" :grin:

Indeed! Was good to hear 😁😁

Good little session tonight again. Inconsistent seeing, but in the good spells GRS very nice.

Saturn was the best I've seen it this apparition. Cassini looking sharp, the C ring visible, plus a strong band on the surface. I think I detected more of a shadow on one side where the planet sits in front of  the rings, showing we are past opposition.

This f8 is giving good results, pleased with it.

• Like 1

Still waiting for Saturn to pop into view from behind my neighbours roof.

Pi Aquillae was a nice split. Quite a bit of cloud here though so it's a matter of short burst observing !

Strange thing seems to happen here- some days Jupiter looks lousy but Saturn crisp, others like tonight Jupiter amazing and Saturn lousy- I don’t get it. Best most red grs Ive seen so far and hints of detail in the stripes. And I think I almost split Antares...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markse68 said:

Strange thing seems to happen here- some days Jupiter looks lousy but Saturn crisp, others like tonight Jupiter amazing and Saturn lousy- I don’t get it. Best most red grs Ive seen so far and hints of detail in the stripes. And I think I almost split Antares...

I often find the same thing, and can only assume it is down to local seeing conditions for each; in my case whether they are over a house or not and how high they are. Last night it was actually Saturn that I enjoyed more because it was better than I've seen for some time, which just means it wasn't the disappointment it has been so far this year! That said, GRS was looking a lovely colour last night too, I agree!

• Like 1

It does seem strange to me that it can vary so much- I guess they’re quite far apart in the sky. What sort of magnification are you able to use with the f8 Stu? I found around 160x (10mm ep) about the limit before image just degraded too much

4 hours ago, markse68 said:

It does seem strange to me that it can vary so much- I guess they’re quite far apart in the sky. What sort of magnification are you able to use with the f8 Stu? I found around 160x (10mm ep) about the limit before image just degraded too much

Probably around the same for me too Mark. I was playing around with a 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom, plus my BGOs. I think best was probably around the 9 or 10mm mark which is x160 or x178.  

• Like 1

For the first time, I saw a blood red Jupiter last night - two combines were working a few hundred metres S of me, and producing a huge cloud of dust. Powdered wheat doesn't seem to work as well as thin cloud though for improving seeing....

Chris

• Like 1