Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Stickfarm8

Hello From US !

Greetings everyone !

I'm new to astrophotography - but not new to photography or astronomy. My father started teaching me fundamentals when I was in my early teens, and also started my interest in astronomy by frequently taking the family up to Mount Palomar (we lived in San Diego at the time).  Getting into astrophotography, as I get close to retiring from engineering, is allowing me to bring the two hobbies into one. My wife has been very supportive of this adventure - she started Grandpa's Telescope Fund several years ago which made shopping for me on birthdays, Fathers Day, and Christmas very, very easy.  I've done a lot of research (engineers can be VERY anal !!)  and I was almost ready this past spring to go down the road with what I thought would have been a great setup. But thank goodness after ordering the book Making Every Photon Count, the author has been very kind in giving me some recommendations which I had the good sense to consider.  He also recommended this forum as a good place to learn and ask questions.

I'm still very early on the learning curve - but my wife and I are having a great time learning - and even dealing with the inevitable frustrations. 

I noticed that FLO is a sponsor of this site. I purchased the Lynx Astro cable for connecting my EQ mount to the PC directly, bypassing the SynScan hand controller. The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Rich

• Like 2

Hello Rich and welcome to the lounge from the great white north.

Rick

Welcome! Also from the great white north, enjoy the lounge!

Rich

Welcome from across the ditch, Pacific Ocean

John 

Hi, Rich, and welcome to SGL.

You are in for a steep, frustrating - but immensely satisfying - learning curve with AP.

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to SGL, Rich, I think you are going to like it here 👍

11 hours ago, Stickfarm8 said:

I noticed that FLO is a sponsor of this site. I purchased the Lynx Astro cable for connecting my EQ mount to the PC directly, bypassing the SynScan hand controller. The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Thank-you 🙂 

Welcome to SGL. 

Steve 

Welcome. Have lots of fun. 🙂

Hi Rich, welcome to SGL :smile:

Hi Rich, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

As regards to astrophotgraphy, welcome to the dark side 👹

Steve

On 23/07/2019 at 19:05, Stickfarm8 said:

The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Welcome to SGL from a fellow 'Merican. 🤠

Thankfully, the US doesn't generally charge import duties on items under $800 and most states expect you collect the sales tax yourself and remit it, which pretty much no one does.  That, and the GBP to USD exchange rate is excellent right now.  I've bought a fair amount from Britain lately because of all these reasons.

Hello Rich, and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us,

it helps when you're other half is understanding, I will see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Welcome Rich. You will find lots of help on the forum.

Hi Rich, a very warm welcome to SGL.

Steve

Hello Rich and welcome to SGL.