SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello From US !

Stickfarm8

Greetings everyone !

I'm new to astrophotography - but not new to photography or astronomy. My father started teaching me fundamentals when I was in my early teens, and also started my interest in astronomy by frequently taking the family up to Mount Palomar (we lived in San Diego at the time).  Getting into astrophotography, as I get close to retiring from engineering, is allowing me to bring the two hobbies into one. My wife has been very supportive of this adventure - she started Grandpa's Telescope Fund several years ago which made shopping for me on birthdays, Fathers Day, and Christmas very, very easy.  I've done a lot of research (engineers can be VERY anal !!)  and I was almost ready this past spring to go down the road with what I thought would have been a great setup. But thank goodness after ordering the book Making Every Photon Count, the author has been very kind in giving me some recommendations which I had the good sense to consider.  He also recommended this forum as a good place to learn and ask questions.

I'm still very early on the learning curve - but my wife and I are having a great time learning - and even dealing with the inevitable frustrations. 

I noticed that FLO is a sponsor of this site. I purchased the Lynx Astro cable for connecting my EQ mount to the PC directly, bypassing the SynScan hand controller. The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Rich

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stickfarm8 said:

I noticed that FLO is a sponsor of this site. I purchased the Lynx Astro cable for connecting my EQ mount to the PC directly, bypassing the SynScan hand controller. The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Thank-you 🙂 

Welcome to SGL. 

Steve 

On 23/07/2019 at 19:05, Stickfarm8 said:

The service on that order was excellent and even with DHL shipping, the cost was competitive with pricing for a similar cable from the only vendor here in the US that the retailer I purchased the mount and scope had recommended.

Welcome to SGL from a fellow 'Merican. 🤠

Thankfully, the US doesn't generally charge import duties on items under $800 and most states expect you collect the sales tax yourself and remit it, which pretty much no one does.  That, and the GBP to USD exchange rate is excellent right now.  I've bought a fair amount from Britain lately because of all these reasons.

Hello Rich, and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us,

it helps when you're other half is understanding, I will see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

• 3 weeks later...