Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep Sky West (Midlands)

tomato

The hole is now at the required depth (1 metre) sides just need to be made vertical. I now struggle to climb out of it. Conduit trench also dug, hopefully concrete mixing and filling later this week.👍🏼

8F3B8270-6679-40EA-A0D2-60773DA4E803.jpeg

FA4A5DC0-08C5-4203-AD4C-6FD87C909426.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

Shhh.  I think I can see Australia.

Myself and Mrs Tomato are planning a trip down under next year, it’s my cunning plan to save on the flights.

Edited by tomato
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Thats a damn fine hole & I like the Feng Shui layout of the blocks as well :)

Steve

Thanks Steve, they ended up like that to support the ducting, plus some other off cuts from making the shed warm room base. They significantly reduced the number of mixes needed to fill the base section. 

11 hours ago, tomato said:

Thanks Steve, they ended up like that to support the ducting, plus some other off cuts from making the shed warm room base. They significantly reduced the number of mixes needed to fill the base section. 

Absolutely, I did similar, any old rubble I had lying around went into "the pit"

Steve

• Like 1

Best to give any concrete blocks or stones etc. a good soaking to get the new concrete to stick to them.  As I recall, I just used poured concrete, with plenty of prodding during the process to get rid of bubbles and ensure the concrete filled all gaps.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

Pier base concrete fill now complete, will leave alone for 2-3 days before starting the dome plinth.

I have a quote from a certified(?) electrian of £460 to provide power from the consumer unit (approx 15 m of 32A armoured cable) to the warm room shed, no trench digging involved. Does that sound reasonable?

30D4C971-3D06-4DAD-BE73-357C70CC50E9.jpeg

• Like 1

£460 is probably reasonable, depending on exactly what you're having done.  If the warm room end is just having a couple of sockets then it's perhaps a bit on the high side, but if you're having a second CU then it may be far more acceptable.

James

• Like 1

Looks like great progress is being made!

I’ve just checked and I paid £565 for an electrician to connect up my obsy (about three years ago). That included a whole new consumer unit in the house, armoured cable to the obsy (20m ish) and three double sockets in the obsy attached to a piece of board that he fixed to the dome wall. So I reckon £460 is about right. 

Exciting times!

Edited by PhotoGav
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies and your comments regarding the electrician’s quote. There is a second little CU in the warm room shed, two double sockets and a lighting circuit, so you have reassured me re the price. I got a good vibe from the guy, he made a couple of suggestions on how to best run the cable from the house, so I think he will get the job.

I getting impatient to finish the obs with the dark nights well and truly back, but still want to do it right. Myself and Tomatobro will be setting up a dual rig for the first time, so will need a bit of time to get that sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...