Narrowband

ZWO Electronic Automatic Focuser

Andyb90

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in the ZWO EAF. I have a FeatherTouch focuser so I think it should be compatible.

I will be using SGPro for auto focus.

If anyone has used the EAF I'd be really grateful if you could share your experiences so far.

Andy.

Hi Andy

I got one of these last month. I got fed up going out all the time to refocus for my filters.

Comes with many springy metal adapters to fit your scope took me about 30 minutes to install it.

Smooth as silk and can get better fine focus than by hand. Works flawlessly with APT. Make sure you downlaod the driver from their ZWO website and alter the ascom driver settings not on APT or SGP as driver overides it for me.

You do not get a PSU with it! Any positive centre 12v power supply will do with 1.5A rating or above.

If you want to go the extra mile go and fill in the backlash boxes you can determine backlash by movng the focuser until you see movement of your focus knobs one way then lower the amount from 10 to 1 and move the other way and record the Focus number just before it moves. This is your backlash. Mine is set to 8 units.

My HWFM and HDR values are just around 1.3 wasn't acheivable before by hand. 

Looks great on my scope (white). Would look great on black scope too, but not sure about bright red on blue or orange (Old Celestron).

A worthy addition to my setup that now I can not live without. Go for it! I left you some pictures...

Kindest regards David

20190728_100419[1].jpg

20190728_100438[1].jpg

Edited by Prolifics
  • Like 3

On 28/07/2019 at 10:06, Prolifics said:

Hi Andy

I got one of these last month. I got fed up going out all the time to refocus for my filters.

Comes with many springy metal adapters to fit your scope took me about 30 minutes to install it.

Smooth as silk and can get better fine focus than by hand. Works flawlessly with APT. Make sure you downlaod the driver from their ZWO website and alter the ascom driver settings not on APT or SGP as driver overides it for me.

You do not get a PSU with it! Any positive centre 12v power supply will do with 1.5A rating or above.

If you want to go the extra mile go and fill in the backlash boxes you can determine backlash by movng the focuser until you see movement of your focus knobs one way then lower the amount from 10 to 1 and move the other way and record the Focus number just before it moves. This is your backlash. Mine is set to 8 units.

My HWFM and HDR values are just around 1.3 wasn't acheivable before by hand. 

Looks great on my scope (white). Would look great on black scope too, but not sure about bright red on blue or orange (Old Celestron).

A worthy addition to my setup that now I can not live without. Go for it! I left you some pictures...

Kindest regards David

20190728_100419[1].jpg

20190728_100438[1].jpg

Thanks very much for the info and pics. I think I'll order one. I've contacted FLO and they've said I could return the unit if I have any compatibility issues. Though hopefully I won't.

Andy.

• Thanks 1