SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter tonight (22.07.19) + NGC 6235

Had some cloud until 9.40pm then it went clear. Used the 12" Dob with 13mm, 10mm and 7mm EPs. Seeing not the best with lots of movement but the GRS and the Shadow very clear on occasions. Still not dark enough to see GC although Jupiter may be too bright to pick it up.

Sat out in shorts and T. Shirt and will take in a few DSOs whilst we have a clear period. I believe astro darkness returns tomorrow in Hereford.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

The second festoon is more centrally places now and seems a bit clearer now. Not extending very in as a Stu said but a noticeable bump in the belt

Good stuff Neil. I'm all packed away now, bite cream applied!! Really nice little session. I must say, the last few weeks, perhaps month have been really good from a planetary observing perspective. No idea why people pack away for the summer and miss all this!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good stuff Neil. I'm all packed away now, bite cream applied!! Really nice little session. I must say, the last few weeks, perhaps month have been really good from a planetary observing perspective. No idea why people pack away for the summer and miss all this!

Totally agree. This is one of my favourite times of the year to observe.

Glad I found this thread as it confirms what I was seeing. I was out tonight with my teen grand-kids showing them Jupiter. How lucky the GRS was dead center and a shadow transit was in progress. I'm going to have to start using higher magnifications again - my eyes struggle with the 0.7mm exit pupil, but I bumped up the magnification from my usual 80x to 130x because I felt their eyes could manage it, and was surprised to see a tiny dark dot on the NEB. The first shadow transit I have seen in a while! Real enthusiasm around the scope, the two teens were pointing out different features to each other and taking their time to get the best view.

• Like 4

I had one of the very best views of Jupiter last night, particularly just after sunset. GRS, hollow, moon shadow, and so many other details between the main two belts and on the belts themselves. :)

• Like 3

Also had some good views of Jupiter. Used the etx 125 as the Ed 120 was set up for later and Jupiter was not in the line of sight due to trees. GRS was nice and clear, belts were also very visible. Saw the start of the transit where the moon looked like an extra little lump on the edge of the planet. Very nice. Only got about 10 mins before it was obscured by aforementioned trees but never the less, thanks for the heads up Mark and all the reports posted. Nice to observe in warm weather for a change...

Steve 

• Like 2

I just caught it - quite a sight as ever! Many thanks for the heads-up.

Monday July 29th at ca.23:00 should be nice - Io plus shadow, and GRS all transiting together, with Jupiter at 13 degrees up (Oxford).

Chris

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Yep, tracked it most of the way across in the Telementor. Solar panels very clear.

You must have very steady hands Stu! I was too late for Io transit. But I did see the ISS - must have been  the next pass at around 11:30. First time I’ve knowingly seen it and I had no idea it moves so fast! And so very bright! I quickly put a 24mm in the 8” dob and managed to “track” it For a bit  past zenith to horizon but image was shakey obvs but yes I could make out a distinct H shape to it. Amazing!

Stayed up to see the moon and enjoyed a most pleasant summers evening under a nice clear sky.  Might well repeat tonight

On moon I’ve discovered that most of my plossls aren’t sharp all the way to the edge in this scope but orthos are- tack sharp. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

You must have very steady hands Stu!

I had it on the Ercole mount which is very easy to pan around, and managed to pick it up low down when it is not moving very fast. I pre focused on a star then refined once I was on it. I normally put the scope ahead of it them let it shoot across the fov and repeat, best way to get steady views I think. It always gets a bit tricky overhead so I let it go and reposition for the second half at that point.

• Like 1