Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade from 500d

cuivenion

I'm thinking of buying a Canon 600d as an upgrade from a Canon 500d. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would I be better off just sticking with the 500d until I can afford a cooled camera? That might be a while, a year or so.

Both are DIGIC 4.

The comparisons by Gary Honis suggest the 600D is a fair bit less noisey than the 500D.

15Mpixels versus 18Mpixels - which one's image scale best suits your setup ?

The articulated screen on the 600D is very useful if you depend on the screen for framing and focus.

Michael

18 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Thanks I'll look into it. I had heard that models after the 600d had a banding problem when used for Astro. The 60d is a bit more expensive as well.

Correct the banding problem was due to the hybrid AF system used on models after the 600D. Have a look at MPB photographic for good used cameras.

Alan

1 minute ago, cuivenion said:

Is the 60d effected by that?

Dont think so, it used phase detection for video and live view (I think) rather than the hybrid system with its extra rows of detectors that caused all the banding issue, the later dual pixel models are fine.

Alan

2 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Apparently Cheap Astrophotography won't mod 60d's. That's a shame.

You shouldn't need to mod a 60D as they are already intended for astro though I've always thought they are overpriced. Your always much better off with a cooled camera! Some of the Nikons use sensors that are found in astrocams e.g. the d5300 has the same sensor as the cooled qhy247c. Obviously the cooled camera is better but costs about £2000 compared to £400 for the d5300 body on Amazon. I mention the d5300 because I was thinking of getting one myself. However, I think they might be awkward and expensive to astromod. I dunno, it's a bit of a jungle out there! I've spent 6months - a year mulling over a camera, especially if it's on the expensive side!

Louise

18 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

You shouldn't need to mod a 60D as they are already intended for astro though I've always thought they are overpriced. Your always much better off with a cooled camera! Some of the Nikons use sensors that are found in astrocams e.g. the d5300 has the same sensor as the cooled qhy247c. Obviously the cooled camera is better but costs about £2000 compared to £400 for the d5300 body on Amazon. I mention the d5300 because I was thinking of getting one myself. However, I think they might be awkward and expensive to astromod. I dunno, it's a bit of a jungle out there! I've spent 6months - a year mulling over a camera, especially if it's on the expensive side!

Louise

Hi Louise, I think it was the 60Da variant that was intended for astro. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to purchase a cooled cam, I'd probably go with a ZWO ASI 294c if I could. I think I'll go with a 600D as I want to get it Baader modded eventually.

Just now, cuivenion said:

Hi Louise, I think it was the 60Da variant that was intended for astro. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to purchase a cooled cam, I'd probably go with a ZWO ASI 294c if I could. I think I'll go with a 600D as I want to get it Baader modded eventually.

Yes, you're right! I'm getting old... 600D should be ok :)