Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

msacco

What would be the optimal setup for me to watch andromeda?

On 20/07/2019 at 19:04, Stu said:

Alot depends on the skies you can get to. Under a really dark sky it is worth having the widest field you can get so you can start to see the outer arms and get M32 and 110 in the view. If you are not under good skies then all you will get is a washed out view and would be better off at slightly higher powers.

What sort of budget would you have?

The APM 20mm 100 degree would give you 2 degrees of sky with a 4mm exit pupil, quite nice. An ES 30mm 82 degree would be nearly 2.5 degrees with a 6mm exit pupil, nice under very dark skies but perhaps washed out if you have LP.

Spot on. I viewed it for the first time last night. Found it in my ES 82 degrees then down to APM20mm that improved it. Then went to 9mm that was a bit too dark.