Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New range of 100 degree EPs?

I just found a link to a new?? range of 100 degree EPs. They appear to be 5mm, 10mm, 15mm and 21mm.

I don't think I have seen them before but I may have missed the launch -  https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/more-74-ultra-wide-angle/other/ts-swa-100-ultra-series-5-mm-1.25-xtreme-wide-angle-eyepiece.html?info=277125

Has anyone bought one or seen a review?

• Like 1

Nothing new; they've been there for several years. I looked for reviews but found almost none around the time they were launched. Someone in Astronomie.de said they have noticeable astigmatism, which might be true with only six lenses and 100°, but it could very well be the opinion was incompetent or biased. Too little info to make a judgement at the time but maybe there are more reviews online now.

Bear in mind these are the same as the Meades, and lab tests show they are not really 100° fields, more like 88-90°

Look for test reports on the Meades to find reviews.

There are other 100-110° eyepieces marketed by many companies (APM, Lunt, TS, StellarVue, William Optics, SkyWatcher, et.al.) that are made by KUO and are legitimately 100-110°.

• Like 3

On 26/07/2019 at 12:49, Don Pensack said:

Bear in mind these are the same as the Meades, and lab tests show they are not really 100° fields, more like 88-90°

Look for test reports on the Meades to find reviews.

There are other 100-110° eyepieces marketed by many companies (APM, Lunt, TS, StellarVue, William Optics, SkyWatcher, et.al.) that are made by KUO and are legitimately 100-110°.

I thought that too until I noticed they all have 6 elements in 4 groups compared to the Meade MWAs which have 7, 8, or 9 elements in 5 or 4 groups.  However, I found the same eyepieces available from Kokusai-Kohki as Magellans, and they claim they have the same lens organization as the Meade MWAs.  Does TS have the specs wrong on their website?

spacer.png

Ultra-wide field of view MAGELLAN (magellan) series eyepiece
Product number
Focal length
sleeve
coating
Eye relief
Lens configuration
weight
Apparent vision
Dimensions (mm)
Tax-included price
ma5
Magellan 5mm
31.7 mm
Finished multi-coated 
Koba coating
13 mm
9 pieces of 5 groups
280 grams
100 °
Total length: 111 
diameter: 49
¥ 27,800-
ma10
Magellan 10mm
19.7 mm
9 pieces of 5 groups
380 grams
Total length: 100 
diameter: 58
¥ 27,800-
ma15
Magellan 15mm
2 inches
20 mm
8 in 5 groups
620 grams
Total length: 117 
diameter: 68
¥ 29,800-
ma21
Magellan 21mm
7 in 4 groups
700 grams
Total length: 116 
diameter: 72
¥ 29,800-
Performance of WATERPROOF: JIS waterproof protection grade 7 equivalent  (※ JIS waterproof protection grade 7 equivalent, maintain the waterproof state in water 15cm / 30 minutes)

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2019 at 04:25, Mark at Beaufort said:

I just found a link to a new?? range of 100 degree EPs. They appear to be 5mm, 10mm, 15mm and 21mm.

I don't think I have seen them before but I may have missed the launch -  https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/more-74-ultra-wide-angle/other/ts-swa-100-ultra-series-5-mm-1.25-xtreme-wide-angle-eyepiece.html?info=277125

Has anyone bought one or seen a review?

Mark,

These eyepieces, made by KUO in China, are available under several different labels.

You should pick this up to see all the 100-120° eyepieces currently available:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/657524-2019-eyepiece-buyers-guide/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@Don Pensackthat is an incredible amount of information - it must have taken ages to complete. Brilliant. I only use my 100 degree EPs in my 12" Dob - easy to keep DSO in the FOV.

Hopefully, this data base will be seen my more members - thanks again

Well said Mark.