SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APOLLO 11 Landing Site ideally placed Sunday EXACTLY 50 years after Armstrong set foot on the Moon

22 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Ron mine was the 7th June one of the hottest days of the year. I can't match the 24" TV but it is something I will never forget even though the TV was small and not that good.

Also married on the 7th June, snap!!

• Like 1

I set up the 120ED around 10pm ready to make the most of the historical anniversary.  Like others  I had problem with cloud early on, out at 1.45am and was only having glimpses of the Moon, mostly through  cloud.  Like others I took some 'panic snaps' as the omens were ominous.  It was reasonably clear by  about 3.00 to about 3.30 am but with even more ominous cloud approaching from the W,   By 3.50 cloud was intruding on the Moon.  I managed five pics while it was 3.56, so at least I had something at the  actual time Aldring steppd on the Moon.  I also had some good views at x150 with my binoviewer early on and had some nice views, though not good enough to be certain I had seen any of the three craters named after the astronauts.  Easy enough to pinpoint the site of the landing though and reflect on all that unfolded there fifty year ago.  Also took the odd moment to look the Apollo 17 landing site which was also very favourable.

The first pic below was the best of the 5 that I took at 3.56am, through bits of cloud which affected the image, still pleased to have it though.  The second one was taken 3.47am when the sky was somewhat clearer.  Both taken at prime focus with the SW !20ED and my Olympus E-M5 Mk11.

Overall, very pleased, some nice views and photos to commemorate the anniversary.  I will probably  re-visit some of the other landing sites when they are favourably placed.

1497347989_P7211026Apollo110356am21072019.thumb.jpg.b6ead6e579fc9c90d4a8067cc8674034.jpg

1453499650_P721101321_07.201903.47BST.thumb.JPG.081eca718e63f13b518095074e8b9715.JPG

• Like 3

The sky was clear for me also so I was able to observe from 3.30 am to 4.30 am , reflecting on that momentous event. It is still so vivid in the memory and yet so many things across those 50 years have left no memory at all.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 12:47, Mark at Beaufort said:

Paul thanks for starting this thread. The weather forecast for 3.56 BST seems reasonable. What I have done is to use the Moon Virtual Atlas set for 3.56 BST and used the image for a Newtonian - see attached. Red dot in the middle.

I sat up all night watching on a 12" KB TV - I had been married just 6 weeks. Pam (wife) joined me when Neil climbed down the ladder.

No such problem where I was. Sat on the floor in the hall at Loftus Primary School watching with all the primary students (the infants kids just weren't grown up enough ;)). I must have been enthralled because I usually only remembered how cold my bum was :D. I was 8.5 yrs old and although the gravity of the situation was lost on me, I remember it pretty well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2019 at 00:34, paulastro said:

I was 14 years old, and every time I see a replay of any of the Apollo footage from any of the missions I have the same emotions as I had all that time ago.  Everything from nervousness and joy, to tears at what befell the Apollo 1 astronauts.  It made a lifelong impression on me.

10yo, 

I still feel the same when I see it