SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APOLLO 11 Landing Site ideally placed Sunday EXACTLY 50 years after Armstrong set foot on the Moon

I only know about this as S@N highlight it in their August editorial.

The site of this historic achievement will be almost perfectly placed for observing at the exact moment Neil Armstrong stepped onto the lunar surface - 02.56UT (03.56BST Sunday morning) fifty years ago.   The Moon is very nearly at it's highest altitude due South at this time and 'the phase placed nicely to bathe the south western region of the Mare Tranquillitatis in dramatic shadows.' 

There is also a page with a detailed photograph of the area and description of all the salient features.

The weather forecast is set reasonably well for most of us, and I for one will be at the telescope at the set time to observe the area and ponder the moment Armstrong stepped on the Moon as I saw it 'live' on the television exactly 50 years before. 

An amazing coincidence that the site should be so favourably placed for us to observe exactly 50 years after the event.

Credit to Chris Bramley, the editor, for pointing this out.

• Like 9

Cheers Paul,

I will be away from home at that time, but I will have with me my TAK FC100, so I shall certainly join you in observing, at the exact time of that incredible event of  50 years ago.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Cheers Paul,

I will be away from home at that time, but I will have with me my TAK FC100, so I shall certainly join you in observing, at the exact time of that incredible event of  50 years ago.

It will be good to have your company Steve, also with the FC100 you'll have a top-notch view!  I'll be using my SW 120ED and will also attempt to take a picture of the historic anniversary. :smile:

4 minutes ago, djpaul said:

I'm working Saturday night...

But  may get out about 2am Sunday morning. Weather permitting.  😀

Great Paul, you will have an hour and fifty six minutes before the actual moment Armstrong walked on the Moon.  If all goes well with the weather I'll be hoping to take a picture exactly at this time.

Wow, there's been an awful lot of water under the bridge since I saw this live on the TV!

• Like 2

I was 14 years old, and every time I see a replay of any of the Apollo footage from any of the missions I have the same emotions as I had all that time ago.  Everything from nervousness and joy, to tears at what befell the Apollo 1 astronauts.  It made a lifelong impression on me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

I was 14 years old, and every time I see a replay of any of the Apollo footage from any of the missions I have the same emotions as I had all that time ago.  Everything from nervousness and joy, to tears at what befell the Apollo 1 astronauts.  It made a lifelong impression on me.

I thought I was the only one like this! Feel the same way when I see footage of the two shuttles again.

• Like 1

IMPORTANT          I've just noticed that If you use the landing site guide ( on page 52 of the S@N magazine )you may get a little confused if you're not familiar with the Apollo 11 landing site.  The photograph on the page is fine, but the little circle on the full disk of the Moon at the top of the page indicates the position of Apollo 17, not Apollo 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use the wall chart of all the landing sites which came with the magazine you will be fine.  On the chart the blue circle indicating the position of  the Apollo 11 site is correct, and the photograph is better as it includes Theophilus which is an  and easily identified crater from which to start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulastro said:

IMPORTANT          I've just noticed that If you use the landing site guide ( on page 52 of the S@N magazine )you may get a little confused if you're not familiar with the Apollo 11 landing site.  The photograph on the page is fine, but the little circle on the full disk of the Moon at the top of the page indicates the position of Apollo 17, not Apollo 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use the wall chart of all the landing sites which came with the magazine you will be fine.  On the chart the blue circle indicating the position of  the Apollo 11 site is correct, and the photograph is better as it includes Theophilus which is an  and easily identified crater from which to start.

And don't get confused between BST and UT, can happen to us all :rolleyes:

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.  Actually the Apollo 17 landing site is well placed for observations as well, folks may want to take a look also - it's an interesting area to explore.  Though not at exactly 3.56 am (BST :biggrin:) which should be reserved for Apollo 11 tomorrow morning of course. 

• Like 1

Paul thanks for starting this thread. The weather forecast for 3.56 BST seems reasonable. What I have done is to use the Moon Virtual Atlas set for 3.56 BST and used the image for a Newtonian - see attached. Red dot in the middle.

I sat up all night watching on a 12" KB TV - I had been married just 6 weeks. Pam (wife) joined me when Neil climbed down the ladder.

apollo 11 base.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're welcome Mark.  Yes the weather looks fairly optimistic for most of England later on.  I'm glad I know the forecast, as looking out of the window you'd never think it was going to clear. 

I suppose because you hadn't been married long, that time must bring all sorts of memories back.

Is the Moon Virual Atlas an app?  I have a version of it on my laptop and I had also done the same thing you did (except image reversed as I will probably use a diagonal on the 120ED, though I do have  reasonable good quality 2 inch erecting prism).  Your version is quite different to mine, whilst yours is photographic, mine is based on a map, I prefer your version.  If it's an app I might take a look at it.  I've also took a pic of the landing site on my phone from Rukl's Atlas which is more detailed.

Clear skies for tomorrow morning Mark, we should both get a view with a little luck.

Paul

57 minutes ago, Ronclarke said:

I had also only married a month earlier, we had a big (24") B & W TV then. It needed to have 50 pence pieces put into a meter to keep going!! Doesn't seem 50 years though!!

Ron

Ron mine was the 7th June one of the hottest days of the year. I can't match the 24" TV but it is something I will never forget even though the TV was small and not that good.

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

You're welcome Mark.  Yes the weather looks fairly optimistic for most of England later on.  I'm glad I know the forecast, as looking out of the window you'd never think it was going to clear. 

I suppose because you hadn't been married long, that time must bring all sorts of memories back.

Is the Moon Virual Atlas an app?  I have a version of it on my laptop and I had also done the same thing you did (except image reversed as I will probably use a diagonal on the 120ED, though I do have  reasonable good quality 2 inch erecting prism).  Your version is quite different to mine, whilst yours is photographic, mine is based on a map, I prefer your version.  If it's an app I might take a look at it.  I've also took a pic of the landing site on my phone from Rukl's Atlas which is more detailed.

Clear skies for tomorrow morning Mark, we should both get a view with a little luck.

Paul

Paul this is the one that I use - https://virtual-moon-atlas.en.uptodown.com/windows

• Like 1