Jump to content


Partial Lunar Eclipse from Western Australia

Recommended Posts

Around midnight I captued the 100% illuminated moon with a Saxon 10" Newtonian reflector and Sony a5000.

Then from about 3am I started on the partial lunar eclipse with a Sigma 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6 zoom lens. I tried a different exposure technique setting on the a5000 called High Dynamic Range with Dynamic Range Optimizer which didn't work out so well. The moon was much lower in the sky and I should've tested these settings before hand but quite please I got what I did. I almost deleted all the eclipse photos as they didn't look that great at full res but it was a last minute decision to put a 4 shot sequence in the corners of the full moon shot.

PIPP used to pre-process 24 full moon photos, AutoStakkert 3 to align and stack, wavelets in RegiStax 6, edited in PaintDotNet with a final tweak in Fitswork.



Edited by Aussie Dave
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Aussie Dave
      Centaurus A Galaxy NGC 5128 aka The Hamburger Galaxy captured on the 18th of March last year with an 83% illuminated moon, conditions average to poor from Mandurah Western Australia. This is my second attempt at this galaxy, this time with a 6" achro frac. The first attempt was terrible with my previously owned C8i on it's alt az mount. I did have some slight drift and getting good collimation seems to be elusive with this older refractor. It also gives bad blue rings around brighter stars which is very annoying and difficult to get rid of.

      I've only been doing DSO astrophotography seriously for about 18 months when the sky allows and I'm no expert at this DSO bizzo but content with my progression so far, I'm always learning new things and enjoying it immensely.
      189 x 30 seconds, ISO 1600, 24 darks.
      Aligned and stacked in Sequator, edited in PaintDotNet and a rework tonight to tidy things up a little more in Fitswork. The second image is a 75% full res crop with less editing to try to bring out some central detail that's usually washed out.
      Sony a5000
      Antares 6" achromatic reflector, fl 990mm, f/6.6
      SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro

    • By Aussie Dave
      The weather has not been kind to us here in the South West of Western Australia and when there has been clear skies, seeing conditions have not been great. But I'm still at it!
      Here are a handful of lunar images that I've captured this month.
      October 1st. Hand held afocal, Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT with an Unbranded 40mm Plossl and a Fujifilm 10mp A170 compact digital camera.

      October 4th (I think). Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT with the ZWO ASI224MC with Celestron UV/IR cut off filter. Captured in SharpCap, aligned and stacked in AutoStakkert3, wavelets in RegiStax6 and edited in PaintDotNet.

      October 5th Harvest Moon. This is what the camera spat out, I didn't add colour. We've had some fires further down south so quite fitting I thought.

      October 8th. First light with the Antares 6" refractor. Prime focus with the Sony a5000, ISO 200, 1/200 sec.

      and finally a moonbow. I've captured these before but I they've never seen them this close to the moon. A couple of nights before this it was very noticeable by eye but by the time I went inside to get all the gear out, set it all up, it was all over. I had to wait for 3 hours for it to come back just to get this shot on this particular night. I have edited and enhanced this photo slightly Taken with the Sony a5000 with stock 18-55mm zoom lens at 55mm, ISO 800,  1/8th sec, f5.6.

    • By Aussie Dave
      I've only just got in to DSO photography recently with this being my second attempt at the Carina neb on the 24th March. I didn't need to do much with this at all in the final stacked image apart from some level adjustment and slight colour correction. I'm very pleased with this even with it's faults.

      Taken with the Sony a5000 and C8i SCT. 4 x 15 seconds, 9 x 8 seconds, ISO 6400. Each of the 13 light frames has a dark frame added from the camera. Aligned and stacked in DeepSkyStacker, final edit in PaintDotNet. I wasn't sure on the colour so I just guestimated. I did a quick search for images online in mid editing but the results shown were all using filters of some sort or another.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.