Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WAG get eclipsed 😉

Stu

My little astro group (Walton Astro Group) met up on the Green near Esher on 16th July to try to catch the partial eclipse. We arrived at around 9pm and set up where we hoped the Moon would clear the trees first. We were a little bit out but overall were probably in the best place for the whole evening. The Moon rose into view at around 10pm and we had a clear view right through until after midnight, apart from some small clouds which actually added to the atmosphere.

There were seven of us in the end (EDIT eight, I can't count!), with six scopes between us.

10" f6.4 home built dob

Tak 210 Mewlon

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ

Lyra Optics 102mm f11

William Optics GT71

William Optics 66mm Petzval

When the Moon rose, it was a beautiful orange colour which slowly faded over the course of the evening. In many ways I wish I had used my FC100 as the Mewlon was too high powered to see the eclipse in a wider context, nice on Jupiter though. Overall I think I enjoyed the views of Jupiter best through the 10" dob and of the Moon through the Lyra Optics which gave a lower power view, very nice. I did enjoy the Moon through my 8x42 binos too.

During the course of the evening a number of local people approached us to ask what we were doing and to look through the scopes. There was genuine interest, even from a group of lads, and they really enjoyed the views through the scopes. I'm hoping that we will get a mention in the local news letter to help boost interest further too.

An excellent night, quite warm although my T shirt, shorts and flip flops attire was proving a little chilly towards the end 🤣🤣. Nice to have clear skies for a significant event too for once. From the number of pictures and reports around, it seems like many of us were lucky which is great!

Some pictures of the group and of the Moon too, will try to get some better resolution versions if I can.

Sitting.jpeg

Looking.jpeg

Rising.jpeg

Darker.jpeg

Even darker.jpeg

Bigger.jpeg

Detail.jpeg

Grainier.jpeg

Close up.jpg

• Like 19

Very nice report and well done on seeing what you did.  Cloudy over North Norfolk (what's new)

Also, it's interesting to see what other scopes the other members brought along.  From 66mm to over 200? Great stuff. And a nice mention for a modest pair of 8x42s. Thanks

Mark

Edited by mark81
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Very nice report and well done on seeing what you did.  Cloudy over North Norfolk (what's new)

Also, it's interesting to see what other scopes the other members brought along.  From 66mm to over 200? Great stuff. And a nice mention for a modest pair of 8x42s. Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark. It was a good night and it's always fun to look through a variety of scopes.

The 66mm was on one side of a SkyTee2 mount, giving a wide field view side by side with the Lyra. My Tak was on the Sphinx mount, which I had set low for the planets but ended up on the floor when I had a quick look at M13/57 and the Double Double later on! The GT71 was on an AZGTi, which I think will get a tripod upgrade soon as it was a bit wobbly with the DSLR attached!

My learning for the night was that these sorts of events are better viewed at lower power, hence the binoculars comment and enjoying the Lyra view so much. Actually the Heritage 130p would have been a good option too! Every day is a school day 😉

• Like 1

Great report Stu! It was nice to see a wide variety of equipment in the pictures. Sounds like y'all had a great time! The eclipse wasn't visible from Kaintuck, so I appreciate the pics!

Rob

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Absolutely brilliant I could not do that on the field near me I'd get all my stuff pinched and I would of been beaten up. 😔

Sorry hear that Paul.  Wasn't sure what the best reaction should be, so put a "like" on - I'm sure you understand what I mean!

Doug.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Absolutely brilliant I could not do that on the field near me I'd get all my stuff pinched and I would of been beaten up. 😔

Such a shame Paul. Strength in numbers, any people nearby you can get together with?

Fortunately where we observe is a very nice little village, but I still feel safer when there are a number of us there.

There is only one other close to me but he has got into photography now.

It's a real shame when I moved in the area 30 yrs ago everyone knew each other our kids grew up together then they knocked a load of houses then built another estate with 3 story houses and flats.

so you go round now you don't know anyone and the gangs of kids are really bad only a few months back went along the path kicking side mirrors off cars.