SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quark & SW Esprit

Astrokev

Hi All

Just playing with ideas to inform a decision -

Has anyone used the Quark with a SkyWatcher Esprit 100 ?

The scope is a 100mm f5.5 APO triplet. With the inbuilt Quark x4.2 magnifier, I'm wondering whether I'll be able to achieve full disk? From what I've been able to find, this could be a struggle?

Also, I believe I'll need a UV/IR cut on the diagonal nosepiece due to the size of the objective.

Any thoughts, experience, suggestions regarding this combo would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Probably won't achieve a full disk, haven't tried Esprit 100 but I think I got a full disc using an SW ST80 and TV32mm Plossl, a while ago now so memory may be playing tricks 😂

Dave

• Thanks 1

I think it's unlikely that you would image a full disc, around 600mm focal length is usually the maximum, your combination would be working at over 2000mm. Not sure about a DSLR though.   😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently imaged the Moon, which is more or less the same size as the Sun, using an 800mm focal length combination onto a Canon 7dmk2 crop sensor. On the basis of the images I got, I could probably stretch that to 1500mm focal length before cutting off some of the disk...

Magnus

As this is in the observing section, I don’t think the OP is looking for imaging solutions but a 40mm EP may just about work. A FOV calculator (like the one available on the FLO website) will show you some options.

• Like 2

I do plan to do imaging aswell. Maybe I should've posted in the imaging forum instead / aswell :)

Doing the maths, I guess 2000mm FL is pushing it a bit for full disk imaging.

Edited by Astrokev

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I think it's unlikely that you would image a full disc, around 600mm focal length is usually the maximum, your combination would be working at over 2000mm. Not sure about a DSLR though.   😀

Yep, sounds unlikely now I think about it! Not a major problem in the grand scheme of things. I can always try and pick up a used short FL scope. An achromat should be OK due to the narrow band I'll be trying to image, so shoulen't be too costly.

• 7 months later...
On 19/07/2019 at 03:47, Astrokev said:

Hi All

Just playing with ideas to inform a decision -

Has anyone used the Quark with a SkyWatcher Esprit 100 ?

The scope is a 100mm f5.5 APO triplet. With the inbuilt Quark x4.2 magnifier, I'm wondering whether I'll be able to achieve full disk? From what I've been able to find, this could be a struggle?

Also, I believe I'll need a UV/IR cut on the diagonal nosepiece due to the size of the objective.

Any thoughts, experience, suggestions regarding this combo would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

did you ever try the Quark. I have the SkyWatcher Esprit 100 but cannot seem to achieve focus with the Quark. I have tried up to 200mm's of extensions both before and after the Quark.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, dmm said:

Hi,

did you ever try the Quark. I have the SkyWatcher Esprit 100 but cannot seem to achieve focus with the Quark. I have tried up to 200mm's of extensions both before and after the Quark.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Shouldn't be a problem, I've used mine in a variety of focal length / aperture refractors , shouldn't need an extension with a diagonal, I use an 80mm extension with a camera, are you sure the Quark is tuned in properly and is actually working properly ?

Have you had good views with it through another refractor.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Shouldn't be a problem, I've used mine in a variety of focal length / aperture refractors , shouldn't need an extension with a diagonal, I use an 80mm extension with a camera, are you sure the Quark is tuned in properly and is actually working properly ?

Dave

Thanks. WIll keep playing around especially with the tuning.  It was first time out the other day and used it with a canon 70-300mm f/5.6 DO lens.  Reasonable results, with some post processing managed to get some surface detail. Also worked quite well with my 50mm guide scope.  Was hoping to use the refractor to get more surface detail and magnification. 

Cheers David

On 27/02/2020 at 23:46, dmm said:

Hi,

Thanks

HI

Yes I bought a Quark Chromosphere last year. Due to my house being due south, and the low solar altitude since I got it, I've only used it twice (!!) but have been able to focus OK using the standard SW diagonal that came with the scope. I haven't needed to use extensions at all.

Kev

On 01/03/2020 at 00:54, Astrokev said:

HI

Yes I bought a Quark Chromosphere last year. Due to my house being due south, and the low solar altitude since I got it, I've only used it twice (!!) but have been able to focus OK using the standard SW diagonal that came with the scope. I haven't needed to use extensions at all.

Kev

Thanks for the update.  At least I know in what configuration it works, just need to figure out what I am doing wrong. Mostly likely the tuning. 

On 28/02/2020 at 12:52, Davey-T said:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice. It was the tuning !!!! Just spent the the last 3 hours watching 2 different proms. It was absolutely breathtaking.

Cheers David

• Like 1