Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

The Observing Area Build


Alan White
 Share

Recommended Posts

My h'pennys worth-

My fixed pier has proved a boon to my imaging in the few weeks it has been operational. Quicker set up etc.

If I just want to do visual, the scope goes on a manual Alt/ Az tripod wherever I can get a view of my target.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks so far all for the input.

No one picked up on the sliding roof and walls comment though?

Something that crossed my mind is build a sliding roof observatory, but have the scope on tripod inside so I can set the dob up on the spot as needed, no pier here then....... your thoughts please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Thanks so far all for the input.

No one picked up on the sliding roof and walls comment though?

Something that crossed my mind is build a sliding roof observatory, but have the scope on tripod inside so I can set the dob up on the spot as needed, no pier here then....... your thoughts please

I see this as a stepwise approach.

I used a permanent pier + mount for years (only needed to install OTA) and this improved convenience and amount of observing.

After that I had an obsy in which everything is at the ready . Even more convenient and thus used even more.

I still set up scopes outside the obsy from time to time 

So if you can install a sliding roof obsy, that would be the best solution. Then you can move your Dob around the garden as you wish..

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What Jeremy said. :thumbsup:

Thanks to my observatory and permanent set-up I now use my telescopes more in any week than I did in any year in the half century before that.
The cost per hour drops like a stone when you are actually using the kit instead of only thinking about it.
Investment in better kit finally begins to make real sense. No more back injuries or hurdles to a quick peek.
Sitting in comfort at a monitor means your patience for cloud to clear literally goes through the roof.
You can browse the forum, planetariums and sales websites in between processing your images.
The observatory can even become your workshop for instrument maintenance, adjustment and modding.
If the scope isn't being manhandled it stays in collimation. Condensation from dragging it all back indoors is at an end.
You can sneak back indoors at 3am without sounding like a gang of bricklayers practising nocturnal, formation wheelbarrowing.  :biggrin:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rusted said:

You can sneak back indoors at 3am without sounding like a gang of bricklayers practising nocturnal, formation wheelbarrowing. 

But why? 
I quite like formation whellbarrowing during the night 😉

Thanks for your thoughts again Rusted,.
The real problem of the next step to an observatory, rather than the pad is getting the green light.
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you considered the "Stonehenge" option? Multiple piers laid out in the format of a time gone by? 😉 You could also go all arty and paint them different colours..... two very helpful suggestions I am sure 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Firstly I am pleased to report that I live, and have not been bashed over the head.

The 'little' issue of remember than pier has been discussed,
it was an immediate I thought you made a mistake getting rid of it,
which let's face it, was a good initial reaction.
So I may be going down a pier route, but taller and go non dob at home.
The reason being I just find the smaller scope and local conditions to me work better more often.

On a observatory front, it was a lets see and we know what that meant from our Mum don't we!
But pier first and then a wouldnt it be nice conversation again sometime later.

So the Observing Pad is never done, and my call to loose the new pier shown to be flawed.
But as I have said before this observing area is a journey, just like life with ups, downs and twists and turns.

So new steel one, cast on a concrete one or a Todmorden?
All I do know is it must be a top of peir at 1.3m + for the refractor/s I will use.

 

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where "environmental sensitivity issues" abound I'd go for something which might easily be mistaken for Edwardian garden chic.
Cast iron, tapered and preferably pillar-shaped with full entasis. Good luck with that! :wink2:

What about a concrete filled garden lamppost with a buried pole hidden inside for unquestionable stability? You want cheap?

CGC Black Vintage Traditional Lantern Post Light Adjustable Height Clear Glass Outdoor Garden Path Drive Porch Terrace Patio Driveway Walkway Hotel : Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Alternatively, old fashioned drawing boards and dentists chairs sometimes had a broad cast iron foot and a nicely tapered column.
I have one myself. Holding up my weather vane and anemometer on a wind surfing mast. Very tasteful it is too. But, you can't have mine. :biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Firstly I am pleased to report that I live, and have not been bashed over the head.

The 'little' issue of remember than pier has been discussed,
it was an immediate I thought you made a mistake getting rid of it,
which let's face it, was a good initial reaction.
So I may be going down a pier route, but taller and go non dob at home.
The reason being I just find the smaller scope and local conditions to me work better more often.

On a observatory front, it was a lets see and we know what that meant from our Mum don't we!
But pier first and then a wouldnt it be nice conversation again sometime later.

So the Observing Pad is never done, and my call to loose the new pier shown to be flawed.
But as I have said before this observing area is a journey, just like life with ups, downs and twists and turns.

So new steel one, cast on a concrete one or a Todmorden?
All I do know is it must be a top of peir at 1.3m + for the refractor/s I will use.

 

I think your last pier looked visually appealing. I don’t think I’d get a Todmorden pier past local management.

On the other hand, if you do make an ugly pier, then the idea of an obsy to cover it up might go down well 🤔

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I think your last pier looked visually appealing. I don’t think I’d get a Todmorden pier past local management.

On the other hand, if you do make an ugly pier, then the idea of an obsy to cover it up might go down well 🤔

Thanks Jeremy, I like the cunning plan about an ugly pier..... hmmmm.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So after lunch ponder while I set up my afternoons meetings.....

How tall can you build a Todmorden pier?
and remain solid with a refractor on it for visual use?

@Peter Drew?? Can you assist me with this please?
 

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

OK, how about a turn of events I did not forsee,
the camper van has a starting issue, we are due away in a weeks time 🤪
So any changes are parked like the van is presently until I know what money is still available.
 

Sorry to hear that Alan, but you'll get there in the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.