Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Partial Lunar Eclipse Tonight

John

The Moon rises at 21:17 BST this evening already in eclipse. This is the data on visibility from Bristol that I have:

Event

UTC Time

Time in Bristol*

Visible in Bristol

Penumbral Eclipse begins

16 Jul, 18:43:51

16 Jul, 19:43:51

No, below the horizon

Partial Eclipse begins

16 Jul, 20:01:43

16 Jul, 21:01:43

No, below the horizon

Maximum Eclipse

16 Jul, 21:30:44

16 Jul, 22:30:44

Yes

Partial Eclipse ends

16 Jul, 22:59:39

16 Jul, 23:59:39

Yes

Penumbral Eclipse ends

17 Jul, 00:17:38

17 Jul, 01:17:38

Yes

I might make the effort to get to a site with a low SE/S horizon this evening to make the best of it, given it's timing with the Apollo 11 mission being celebrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Don't want to jinx anything but it's looking good for this evening's partial lunar eclipse, I find it particularly poignant as it's the 50th anniversary of the first man on the moon to the day. Makes it even more special

Indeed it will be great to celebrate Apollo 11 launch day with an eclipse.  A bunch of us from my local club are planning to meet at place with good horizons, hoping the weather plays ball for once.........

Ed.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Indeed it will be great to celebrate Apollo 11 launch day with an eclipse.  A bunch of us from my local club are planning to meet at place with good horizons, hoping the weather plays ball for once.........

Ed.

Thar was my thinking exactly :smiley:

• Like 1

Indeed out to observe this tonight with Castle Point Astronomy Club, however it is arranged by Ed NGC 1502 on here.
He arranged one last year and it was clouded out, he did however manage a full on Thunderstorm for entertainment 😁
Let us hope we fare better this year.

Celebrating the 50th of Apollo 11 is most apt.
My dear old Dad set me observing the Moon in the latter missions, but at 3 years old was too small / young to remember the real event. But it has set me up for a lifetime of observing and a fascination about the weather.

• Like 1

I am in Fuerteventura, with 10x50s and a glass of wine 😀. Sadly not much in the way of image capturing capability.  Eclipsed Moon is fairly clear, spoiled only by sand kicked up by recent wind.  Saw the ISS go over, just after 22:00 (thanks Jonk for the heads-up). Jupiter, higher in the sky, is clearer.  Could be worse... 

• Like 1

Not quite cleared the trees for me yet, though it shouldn't take long.  Just saw a very nice flare from a satellite heading NW-ish from the area of Jupiter though.

James

• Sad 1

Saturn has only just popped round the trees so no moon for me yet. Looks like I've just missed out.

Jupiter nice and bright, and Antares looking nice and orange.

I did wave at the ISS as it went by though, as I always do!

• Sad 1

Lovely views here in Esher, Moon took a while to clear the trees but was looking very orange as it rose.

Jupiter also looking nice, Saturn less so.

Seven of us here enjoying the views.

• Like 1