Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

spacer.png
Continuing the saga of photographing the 6 landing sites of the Apollo missions now follows Apollo 15.
In this photo I was fortunate to get good viewing conditions so many details are visible, for example, I had never photographed so many craters in Archimedes' floor.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/415536/0/?nc=user

• Like 22

Excellent image. Thank you.

I would have to say this could be the best view I've had of the rille I try to see with my 8" dob. 

• Thanks 1

Superb as usual Avani, I had a pathetic attempt at the Apollo 11 site last night with the Moon lurking low down in the murk.

Dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Come on Avani, you can get closer.. I wanna see the foot prints..... HAHA

But seriously, the amount of detail is staggering.

Edited by MarsG76
  • Haha 1

As a matter of scale,  does anybody know the size  (width) of that rille, canyon  to the immediate left of your yellow circle ??   

(great picture btw. )  

Thank you Avani. We are awestruck. 

Is there no limit to your magic?

Very amazing!   I use a 200pds(1000mmf5) and as I recall, each pixel on my astrocam works out as a 400m square.  No footprints for me, but I'll report back if I see any new housing estates popping up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Craney said:

As a matter of scale,  does anybody know the size  (width) of that rille, canyon  to the immediate left of your yellow circle ??   

(great picture btw. )  

The Hadley Rille is around 1.5km wide for much of it's length I believe. It averages around 400 metres deep.

Really superb image astroavani :thumbright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, John said:

The Hadley Rille is around 1.5km wide for much of it's length I believe. It averages around 400 metres deep.

Really superb image astroavani :thumbright:

Thanks for answering the colleague's question Creaney,  I was working and had not yet looked at the comments.

• Like 1

Thanks all comments!
I was fortunate to catch a night with good seeing, this helps a lot in getting small details.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Superb as usual Avani, I had a pathetic attempt at the Apollo 11 site last night with the Moon lurking low down in the murk.

Dave

Every lunar image has its beauty friend Dave, we have to respect the setup and seeing factors each time we analyze an image.
You can never compare two images made in place and with totally different equipment is not it?