Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Changes around GRS

Stu

The other night, John and I both (separately) noticed a bright separation between one side of the GRS and the SEB. I thought  I would see if it showed on the latest images and compare it with older ones to check if it was a genuine change.

I'm pleased to say it is a real change, shown in these two images I've linked to in the imaging section. I wonder how it will develop from here?

• Like 1

Nice bit of research Stu and I'm pleased that I was not imagining that something had changed.

While Saturn is a very beautiful thing to observe, Jupiter always gets my prize for the target where the action is at - always something going on !

I've noticed that too, it's like it's boundary has been breached, I hope that the GRS is not falling apart. would be a great pity.

Views of a detailed Jupiter disc with the grs on a clear night are breathtaking... I had such a view the other night.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I hope that the GRS is not falling apart.

Oh I don't know, I quite like the prospect of it breaking up into lots of littler GRS's moving around all over the disc, what a sight that would be! :) 

26 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Oh I don't know, I quite like the prospect of it breaking up into lots of littler GRS's moving around all over the disc, what a sight that would be! :) 

No matter what happens it'll be fascinating... if it does breakup than it'll be brand new features to image... new astro challenges.

• Like 1

I doubt it will fall apart; rumours of its demise are greatly exaggerated ;)

I recall in the past seeing a clear white separation between spot and the belt, perhaps this is just in the process of forming again?