Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS Transit tonight - 12th July 2019

Stu

Thanks, I am on a bit of Jupiter frenzy at the moment, partly because I can get a bit of astronomy in and still be in bed before it interferes with work the following day.

I was out the evening of the tenth looking at the moon and a little after ten turned my gaze to Jupiter. The four satellites were visible as was the GRS and a shadow transit near the north from Ganymede, (I stand to be corrected) first time for me.

last night same deal, Lunar then Jupiter. Only three of the Galilean satellites visible, it did occur to me that one may be behind the planet and at about 10:15 a fourth suddenly appeared closest to the planet. I looked it up and appears to be Europa (second correction possibly)

Do I dare for a third clear evening and thanks to you a second stab at the GRS. That thing must be really moving.

Marv.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

The four satellites were visible as was the GRS and a shadow transit near the north from Ganymede, (I stand to be corrected) first time for me.

Exactly as you say 👍👍

20190712_183521.jpg

Looks like it should be clear ish here, but there are some fast winds up high by the looks of the satellite images so the seeing may be rubbish :(

Let's wait and see though.

Up till now I haven’t really looked at the moon in that period between sun disappearing behind the trees and the onset of night time.

I know most people would say “twilight” but it is a really fast changing period for conditions and one word does not cover it.

It has been amazing, and knowing Jupiter is right behind it is all I need to get out in the garden 1 hr 29 minutes from now.

More power to the Stu

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

last night same deal, Lunar then Jupiter. Only three of the Galilean satellites visible, it did occur to me that one may be behind the planet and at about 10:15 a fourth suddenly appeared closest to the planet. I looked it up and appears to be Europa (second correction possibly)

Last night at 10.15pm it looks like all 4 moons were visible, none behind the planet. I can't see any stars coming out of eclipse either.

Screenshot_20190712-201546_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Bit hazy here but the GRS is now on it's way across the disk. Interesting brighter area adjacent to the leading edge of the GRS - that like a brighter "inlet" between that side (the W side) of the GRS and the S E belt. I'll keep an eye on that.

Moon looking nice too !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Bit hazy here but the GRS is now on it's way across the disk. Interesting brighter area adjacent to the leading edge of the GRS - that like a brighter "inlet" between that side (the W side) of the GRS and the S E belt. I'll keep an eye on that.

Moon looking nice too !

Some reasonable views here to, although at times it looks like Jupiter is under a stream of water. GRS a nice orangey colour I suppose, and like you John I can see that white area pointing in towards the SEB, separating off that side of the GRS from the belt.

Some nice festoons evident too, three I think?

Moon lovely as always.

Cloud scooting through quite quickly, going to call it a night soon, been a long week!

• Like 2

Unfortunately for me a hat trick of Jupiter’s did not materialise. That stream of water effect you have described was in constant attendance for me.

I could make out the moon positions and just see the main belts but nothing else. Still nice to be out as it was 25 degrees c and the pool beckoned.

Clouded out in my bit of Essex.
Looked on weather satellite images and it was a narrow band from the North to South, 
right over where I live. 
Inevitable really as my Panoptic 15mm had arrived.

Great that some of you have got a look and enjoyed your astronomy, 
because enjoying it is what it is all about.

Cloud, Grrrrrr!
But gives you something to look forward to  :D

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Looks like another cloud out in Norwich. Will be looking forward to all your reports though. Enjoy :) 

Hi Neil, I was in a pub at East Harling yesterday evening (about 10 miles west of my home in South Norfolk). Around 10pm I stepped outside to see a totally clear blue sky with a brilliant Moon and Jupiter, so called it a wrap at the pub and drove home - to a totally clouded sky, and I mean totally, not one patch of clear sky - go figure...!!

Geof

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Neil, I was in a pub at East Harling yesterday evening (about 10 miles west of my home in South Norfolk). Around 10pm I stepped outside to see a totally clear blue sky with a brilliant Moon and Jupiter, so called it a wrap at the pub and drove home - to a totally clouded sky, and I mean totally, not one patch of clear sky - go figure...!!

Geof

Great Innit!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Geof

Aaah rubbish. The cruel irony is you probably needed a beer cheer yourself up after that 😉Last week was excellent so I shouldn’t complain even though the scopes have just sat gathering dust this week. 

• Like 1