Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

I have recently bought a Orion Starshoot Autoguider. I downloaded phd 2, eqmod and ascom stuff. After a small research I found out my mount (exos 2 gt) doesn't support computer acces without firmware upgrade and fancy cables but I have the st4 port so it shouldn't be a problem. In phd I choose camera as Starshoot Autoguider and mount On-Camera. Aux mount and AO are both none. My wiring is one cable to pc from camera and another to st4 port from camera. When I started looping I selected the star with no problem. I choosed the one star alignment option from my hand controller and after centering the Archturus in the middle of view I pressed ok and it was successfull. I started guiding and after a while I get the error: RA calibration failed star didn't move enough.

You need to guide on a small star something to do with the centroid which I don't udnerstand.   Check in settings that RA is actually switched on.  

Normally you get that notification when the calibration fails, so are you sure you had actually started guiding.

Guiding is a minefield, probably needs some-one more technical than me to give better advice.

Carole 

You didn't mention entering your guidescope focal length and guidecam pixel size  into PHD2.? 

Everything else you said is correct. 

If you have entered focal length and pixel size:

The cable from the camera to the mount is called a ST-4 cable, and they are notoriously unreliable. 

In the PHD2 Tools menu, go to Manual Guide. 

Set the size to 5000 and then try moving the mount with the NSEW buttons in Manual Guide while watching the selected star in the guidescope display. 

You may find it doesn't move in one or all directions, or moves in the wrong direction ! 

Michael 

Posted (edited)

Are you trying to guide or do a star alignment as seems from the text you're trying to do both at the same time..1st thing to do is polar align, then star align..then guide.. I take it you're on the calibration step in phd2..it's best to take the slack out of the gears just beforehand so pressing north on the manual guide until the star moves, then calibrate..

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

Thank you for all the responses I sent my mount to someone who mastered at astrophotpgraphy and he adjusted the backlash and I'm good now.

Clear skies.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrosathya
      I connect my mount to PHD2 using ASCOM and most nights I have the error "Star did not move enough" as well as "Suspicious blah blah, axis may not be perpendicular". This does not happen when I connect the mount via ST4 cable. I read somewhere that I can do a Calibration Sanity Check in PHD2. I am however unable to find that function in the software. Is it some pop up feature or does it have a location in the settings/brain icon?
      Any help will be highly appreciated.
    • By Dinglem
      For sale Orion autoguider package in excelent condition £200 delivered.
      Included in box:-
      Orion StarShoot autoguider
      Orion 50mm Guide Scope
      USB2 cable
      RJ11 cable
      Software disc

• By Icesheet
      I have recently purchased an Orion Mini guide scope and I'm keen to start autoguiding using my Altair GPCAM2 224. However, I have a MacBook and it's not playing ball. I've managed to get BETA versions of Atair Cam and PHD2 drivers on my Mac but the frame rate on Altair capture is horrendous and PHD2 doesn't recognise the camera. Therefore I'm resigned to having to shell out on a windows based laptop. I'm looking to the second hand market at the moment but all I want is the minimum specs I need to capture. I will use the Mac to process images.
      Altair states minimum requirements are :
      Windows PC Hardware Requirements: Minimum CPU: Equal to Intel Core2 2.8GHz or Higher Minimum Memory: 2GB or More USB port: USB2.0 High-speed Port  
      It doesn't say if this is IntelCore2 single, duo or quad. I'm presuming single here. Even still is that the minimum for just capturing data? What are others using. I'm really reluctant to start shelling out another £100+ on a used laptop just for autoguiding.
      Chris

• By cosmojaydee
      Hello all , due to moving house, it is with deep sadness that I need to sell my gear. Most  items I would prefer not to post and would be collection only , any smaller items that can be, postage will have to be covered by the buyer. If you are interested in any of the items please send a P.M and we can discuss it , So here goes 
      Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED pro triplet in alu flight case  this has not been used   £750.00  SOLD to Kaliska Field Flattener for the above scope , this has not been used                          £ 80.00    SOLD to Kaliska Skywatcher evostar 80ed ds pro + mask , used in G.C                                  £220.00 Sold .85 R/FF for the above scope , used                                                            £100.00 Sold Baader 2" click lock M56 for the evostar                                                       £35.00  SOLD to (Adeking) 9x50 finder , used                                                                                      £25.00 Sold AZ EQ6 GT GEQ & ALT -AZ  , used twice                                                     £900.00  SOLD to  jbro1985 QHY Polemaster, used twice                                                                      £170.00  SOLD to Kaliska  Baader Neodymium 2" filter                                                                       £ 30.00  SOLD  Stargazer McCabe Baader H-Alpha 7nm ccd filter                                                                    £ 100.00  SOLD to  Handy_Andy As far as I know all the literature will be included as from new and in all their original boxes , all the above are like brand new and have been loved and cared for .
      I would love for someone to buy job lot at a price of £3500.00 , which would include many items I have not listed , power supply , many adapters, leads ect ect  
      If you have any questions please feel free to ask 
      Thanks for looking  

• By cesco
      Hello everybody,
      I am going to apply Permanent PEC correction to my AZ-EQ6 GT SkyWatcher mount in an attempt to eliminate most minor negative contributions to my so-and-so autoguide. I will do that by following instructions on the SynScan manual. Does anyone have some advice?
      I also started using Guide Assistant of PHD2 and applying the calculated min-move and backlash changes suggested by the system. More, I tweaked the worm and gear bugs of the DEC axis to reduce the backlash, and after a few attempts I found the right position between screeching and jerky movements of the mount at one extreme, and shaky setup at the other. I hope getting some improvements to my awkward setup because I am afraid that the heavy (14-16 kg) and long (1600 mm focal length) Meade 7" refracting scope plus guide scope is close to this mount's limiting payload, and difficult to be correctly balanced. In addition to seeing, its length also makes it strongly sensitive to wind gusts making PHD2 log graphs look not so good. I cannot minimize these effects without changing my scope, which I don't want to do because of crisp images it yields under (rare) favourable conditions, so I started a search to minimize everything else that can be addressed.
      Thank you for useful suggestions!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.