Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Mandy D
I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
as suggested by Hughsie, here's my pastel sketch my contribution to the solar imaging challenge.
Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-Cel 10mm
Date & Time: May 29th, 2019 / 1630-1700 CEST
Location: home terrace, Dusseldorf region, Germany
Technique: reddish Koh-i-Noor Toison d'Or pastels and pastel pens on greyish Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
Like all of my astronomical sketches , I did this one directly at the eyepiece. The picture of the sketch is taken with my smartphone and just cropped.
Clear (and sunny) skies!
Size: 24 x 32 cm
Taken on Sunday evening with a 98% Moon.
Comprising of 12 x 600s subs using an ED80 with a 0.85x FF, an Atik 383L+ and a 7nm Optolong Filter.
Stacked in DSS, and processed in PS.
Full frame and cropped, mono and h-alpha colour using NC Actions.
Thanks for looking
Managed a bit of further processing on data captured on holiday - this field of view is something I would really struggle with at home (it's 9 degrees lower, and doesn't rise above my roof from my garden!) - a widefield of the Eagle (M16), Swan/Omega (M17) and M18, as well as a lot of HII in the surrounding areas. The HA filter helped a lot in cutting through the atmosphere - it's not fantastically high from the site we were at, and I still had to have a couple of nights at it dodging the trees.
QHY163M + Canon 200mm f2.8L (@f3.85) + Baader 7nm HA filter, mounted on a Losmandy GM8.
Exposure 2h50m in 5min subs. Binned a few subs as they were of poor quality.
Processing in PI. Thanks for looking
At 50% resolution:
Partially annotated version (lots of unmarked catalogues not shown, and not sure why Sh2-47 is marked away from the actual object! :