Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

GavinC

Change of OTA on Celestron Nexstar 80GT Goto mount?

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether it's possible to mount alternative OTAs with a dovetail or rings to the mount that comes with a Celestron Nexstar 80GT?  In particular I am wondering about attaching a SW Heritage 130P?  I know that Celestron did a 130mm reflecting 'scope on his mount, but it looks to also have that plastic tube clamp, seen on the 80mm image below.

Thanks,

Gavin

CELESTRON NEXSTAR Computer Telescope 22082.png

Looking at the manual, I would have serious doubts. It says that the OTA and arm come as a single piece. If they were seperable, I would think they would be shipped that way.

This mount doesn’t come with a dovetail type mounting arrangement for the OTA but a moulded two piece tube clamp so you have to replace the whole tube clamp. If you could find the clamp assembly for the 130 then you should be able to change to a 130 OTA. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/celestron-site-support-files/support_files/1228334587_nexstargt.pdf

42BBD45E-4CA2-4817-99F4-F0345B2FD721.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

But does the tube clamp separate from the arm? Genuinely don't know ... it might, but if so why ship the two bits attached? Strikes me as a bit inconvenient for packaging.

The tube clamp screws directly to the mount and isn’t removable although can be opened to fit the OTA.  To change OTAs you would need to replace the complete two part clamp. Finding the new size clamp would be the problem. These scopes date from about 2000 so getting parts is a bit tricky. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.

After quite a bit of digging, and has been pointed out, this is an old scope, I did find the following information here https://www.nexstarsite.com/Reviews/BaaderBrackets.htm that says Baader made an adapter for this mount to take a dovetail.  An email to Baader solicited the following reply:

"After the GT mount was discontinued some years ago, we stopped production and sold out these items.

Because the newer mounts (NexStar SLT) all have such a bracked already built in, there was no need anymore to produce these brackets

Very sorry!

Perhaps you find something used somewhere"

I've posted this here so that if anyone else find themselves in a similar situation both bits of information are in one place.

The 80GT scope and mount was actually on a charity shop eBay listing and sold for £10 which, for that price, was probably a bargain if it worked but I didn't bid for it in the end.

Thanks again for all your earlier replies.

Gavin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Welsh Dave
      Hello There,
      I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently making a setup but I would like to add a good finderscope onto my Celestron Starbright XLT scope. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
      Welsh Dave

• By Nistelboy
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum but not particularly new to astronomy. 
      Anyway, I have an issue and I'm hoping that there is someone here who can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a celestron advanced VX which I have now owned for probably 5 years or so, I lost a bit of interest in astronomy so all of my equipment went away and I have just recently started it all up again.
      Iwas powering the mount using an RAC heavy duty jump starter, which, admittedly, I haven't been keeping on charge! So there is a fair chance it is dead/on it's way out. So I purchased a talentcell 8300 from Amazon, it arrived today (12th) and I plugged in straight in to the mains to charge up, as soon as it was fully charged I plugged it in to my mount and nothing, literally nothing at all, no lights, no reponse, it's as if I had not plugged it in. So I plugged one of my RAC units in, one of them, when fully charged, will power the mount but not fully, the power LED comes on but the backlight on the HC does not and all I can see on the display is "boot start".
      I then tried to power the mount via the same 12v cable as I was using from the RAC units but with the power pack plugged in a charging too, this all worked exactly as expected, everything turned on, I can input into the HC and the motors all respond to input. I have noticed that the power LED on the 12v cigarette connector does dim dramatically as soon as I turn the avx on (when plugged in to the RAC pack). 
      I purchased the talentcell unit as I had noticed on other forums that people were using it for the same mount, it is rated as 12v and 6A output so all should be ok. I have not had a chance to check anything with my multimeter, and, honestly, I'm not that handy with one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Many thanks

• By Gryffster
      Hi - I'm a relative newcomer to telescopes with goto - still trying to figure them out.
      I have a problem with Goto on the 8SE.
      Alignment usually works (Not always, but usually)

I believe my set up is correct - time and date, DST and UTC (It's currently BST in the UK)

I usually use 2-star alignment (Currently, most convenient for me are Sirius and Procyon)
      Alignment usually succeeds, but goto just doesn't. The scope slews away, sometimes even to a completely different part of the sky from the selected object (I'm familiar enough with
      the sky to be able to identify several bright stars without assistance)
      Bizarrely, this happens even if the goto object is one of the alignment stars - how could it possibly not be able to find a star when you've explicitly told it where it is?
      I've read that goto sometimes doesn't work well on battery power, so I've aquired a mains adapter. No change.
      I haven't yet updated the handset firmware (I'm waiting for a serial-usb adapter.)
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By The-MathMog
      Because of the current situation, I have, as many of you guys probably have too, spend a lot more time under the stars when possible.

It has literally been over a year since last I was out doing some astrophotography because of work.

So here is my second take after the long break, NGC 3344 (The Sliced Onion Galaxy).
      Initially I thought it would be a lot fainter than it was, so it was basically a shot in the dark, of just trying to get back at doing this.
      But the final image actually showed a lot more detail than I would've hoped for!
      Spring lent a lot of clear night, but those seems to be gone already. I would've hoped for a few more hours to add some more luminance data to it, as I did have to push it quite a bit.
      I am not too happy with the shape of the stars either. Guiding was not very stable through the night, even though balance and polar alignment seemed to be good. Might need to update my Celestron PEC data? 

Any advice or feedback is very welcome! 🤩
      NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy)
      Flat and Dark calibrated
      Gain 111
      Offset 40
      Total Integration - 5 Hours 4 minutes  (LRGB)
      ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro
      Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
      Baader 1,25'' RGB Filters
      ZWO Mini EFW
      Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
      ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
      Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope
      Photoshop CS2
      Deep Sky Stacker
      Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
      Astrotortilla

• By Geordie mc
      Hi. Just starting to use autofocus with the Celestron motor focus and SGP. Can anyone give me some starting points for step size, backlash etc. I’m getting there but wasting a lot of imaging time just trying to get this to work accurately. I’m currently trying a step size of 75 and a backlash of 50. Any tips most appreciated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.