Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Recommended Posts

F/8.2 fluorite doublet which fits between the F/7.4 and F/9 of the DL and the DF / DC models. Sliding dew shield, which is a nice touch.

The performance charts look pretty good - they claim that it's as good as the F/9 but with the advantage of the faster focal ratio and faster again for imaging with the .66x reducer in use - just F/5.3.

It's a sort of homage to the original FC series back in the 1980's according to the translated  web page.

Maybe an 125mm version on it's way as well ? (thats just a guess !).

Another desireable Tak !

Maybe the F/9 won't be produced again and the F/7.4 models will be replaced in due course by this single multi-use focal ratio model ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it would have been simpler to equip the DC/DF with a sliding dewshield...😐 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 883 said:

Perhaps it would have been simpler to equip the DC/DF with a sliding dewshield...😐 

That would require a re-design of the objective lens cell which is perhaps not a small matter ?

Looking at the performance charts and spot diagrams and comparing them with those of the FC-100DL I think the important point is not so much that the peformance at F/8.2 looks to be very, very close to that of the F/9 but that when the .66x focal reducer is used, the spot sizes remain very tight even at F/5.3. This seems to me the key feature optically of this doublet - it remains a very high peformer even when focally reduced. Imagers will be attracted by that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooops !!!! - I don't know where I got F/8.2 from - the DZ is F/8 "native" focal ratio. Must have misread something ! :rolleyes2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting addition to the range. One of the nice features of the F/7.4 FC-100DC is its shortish tube, which allows it to fit into cabin luggage for trips abroad. However that does require the non sliding dew shield to be unscrewed. Haven't looked at the specs of the DZ yet but if it's airline portable at F/8 that will be a big selling point in my view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Interesting addition to the range. One of the nice features of the F/7.4 FC-100DC is its shortish tube, which allows it to fit into cabin luggage for trips abroad. However that does require the non sliding dew shield to be unscrewed. Haven't looked at the specs of the DZ yet but if it's airline portable at F/8 that will be a big selling point in my view. 

Apparently, with the dew shield retracted and the diagonal plus extensions removed from the focuser the DZ measures 595mm in total length. It weighs 3.8kg.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John said:

Apparently, with the dew shield retracted and the diagonal plus extensions removed from the focuser the DZ measures 595mm in total length. It weighs 3.8kg.

 

Too long for carry on unfortunately. Sure it will be another very nice scope but would rather they launched a 125mm, or even a 130mm doublet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks John. Significantly heavier than the 2.8kg DC and 4cm too long for airline bags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stu said:

Too long for carry on unfortunately. Sure it will be another very nice scope but would rather they launched a 125mm, or even a 130mm doublet.

I have the feeling that a 125 doublet might be along sometime. I may be wrong but it would not surprise me in a couple of years if the FC line was a single 100mm (the DZ) and also included a 125mm and maybe even an 80mm ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John said:

I have the feeling that a 125 doublet might be along sometime. I may be wrong but it would not surprise me in a couple of years if the FC line was a single 100mm (the DZ) and also included a 125mm and maybe even an 80mm ?

 

Would be very tempted by the 125 if they did John, fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, John said:

I have the feeling that a 125 doublet might be along sometime. I may be wrong but it would not surprise me in a couple of years if the FC line was a single 100mm (the DZ) and also included a 125mm and maybe even an 80mm ?

 

Takahashi might produce more doublets as they have stopped production of the FSQ-130ED. Now they may have more time for other scopes. Hopefully it will be an FC-140 or better FC-150 with sliding dew shield. Only time will tell 😉

There is already an excellent TSA-120, when cooled it will produce stunning views. It's not that heavy for an 120mm scope. If you can cope with a little longer cool down compared to a doublet, then the TSA-120 is the way to go in the 120-125mm range.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stardust1 said:

Takahashi might produce more doublets as they have stopped production of the FSQ-130ED. Now they may have more time for other scopes. Hopefully it will be an FC-140 or better FC-150 with sliding dew shield. Only time will tell 😉

There is already an excellent TSA-120, when cooled it will produce stunning views. It's not that heavy for an 120mm scope. If you can cope with a little longer cool down compared to a doublet, then the TSA-120 is the way to go in the 120-125mm range.

 

I think the TSA-120 is a far bigger and  heavier scope than an FC125 would be so I would rather they produced something in this range, 125 to 130 to keep it manageable.

It's a nice game to play anyway, we will see what, if anything, they come up with 👍👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think the TSA-120 is a far bigger and  heavier scope than an FC125 would be so I would rather they produced something in this range, 125 to 130 to keep it manageable.

It's a nice game to play anyway, we will see what, if anything, they come up with 👍👍

If Tak stretches the design philosophy of the FC-100D to a FC125, then yes it will be lighter then the TSA-120. 

To me the 120mm apo is a no mans land refractor. It doesn't excel in weight, it's heavier then a 4". It's just a little brighter then a 4". It doesn't give me the wow factor over an FC-100D or an FS-102. The TSA-120 is brighter then a FC-100D on deepsky, but on the planets (Jupiter) these scope are very close. I have compared these scopes many nights side by side in excellent seeing on Jupiter.  In the end I sold the TSA-120 and kept the FC-100D. A 140mm, like my TEC-140 is a wow on Jupiter compared to my FS-102.

Though I do love the portability of a FC-100D. I think these small scopes are one of the best 4" around for visual use. The jump from FC-100D to a FC-140 or FC-150 will be huge 😉

I'm looking forward to the first reviews of the FC-100DZ.

Edited by Stardust1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2019 at 01:48, Highburymark said:

Ok thanks John. Significantly heavier than the 2.8kg DC and 4cm too long for airline bags. 

Focuser in FC-100D’s is easy to screw off and on without tools for ultra-compact transport if needed - that will shave appr. 10 cm off the length (don’t have my DF now at hand to measure exactly but that’s the ballpark figure), and I presume this will apply also to the DZ.

However, with the dew shield screwed off the DF is even shorter than DZ due to its 6 cm shorter f.l. But then you have to protect the lens somehow and pack the dew shield safely to protect it from getting bent out of shape. So I’d feel safer to travel with the new DZ...

Edited by Axunator
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2019 at 08:29, Axunator said:

Focuser in FC-100D’s is easy to screw off and on without tools for ultra-compact transport if needed - that will shave appr. 10 cm off the length (don’t have my DF now at hand to measure exactly but that’s the ballpark figure), and I presume this will apply also to the DZ.

However, with the dew shield screwed off the DF is even shorter than DZ due to its 6 cm shorter f.l. But then you have to protect the lens somehow and pack the dew shield safely to protect it from getting bent out of shape. So I’d feel safer to travel with the new DZ...

Indeed - I've taken my DC abroad three times now by unscrewing the focuser and dew shield - works well but still not ideal for such an expensive telescope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.