SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crater Rheita

Mike JW

Hi,

A very enjoyable hour or so on the 7th July. I have long wanted to have a go at sketching the Rheita Valley area. It is a subtle feature and needs to be caught early in the lunar cycle.

The sketch outline was done at the eyepiece but the mess of converting to charcoal was attempted indoors. The black shadows were enhanced using black felt. A white gel pen was used to give a greater intensity to the mountain peaks and the tops of crater rims

Crater Rheita is approx 70 km x 70 km and 4 km deep with a significant central mountain and various crater-lets in the crater floor. The terraced steep walls on the south west merge into the Rheita Valley, which at its widest is 25 km and up to a 1 km deep. The valley is about 445 km long. It is the second longest lunar valley and has been altered by several large impacts. It is thought that part of the original valley may have been caused by subsidence. Also the valley is radial to the Nectaris basin which suggests that when the impact that caused the Nectaris basin, debris that was flung out could have created the valley.

Crater Rheita E is the long irregular crater and most likely was caused by multiple hits as an asteroid fragmented.

1897877107_Rheitavalleyarea.jpg.c07c5aac63ffb4e8fd9c84741861e569.jpg

Mike

• Like 5

Brilliant one Mike. And interesting write up too. (Sorry I should have read this one first before replying to your other post. I see you've come up with your own solution of using a pen for the black).

It's all personal trial and error isn't it! 

• Thanks 1