Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gain - Astrophotography Tools

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, I'm writing this whilst banging head on the table as I've waisted 8 hours taking Darks..

I've recently bought a Zwo 1600MM Cool And I have been learning APT as I've never used it before.

I have been making a Darks Library, over the past 24 hours I've created one set of Darks at Gain 139, this morning I set up APT to do a sequence of Darks at Gain 200.  In order to set the Gain to 200 I opened up Settings under Camera in APT and adjusted the slider to Gain to 200 and pressed OK.  Everything appeared to be working correctly.

Having set up the imaging plan I went out and have just returned to find that every Dark taken today has a Gain of 139 and not 200. 

I've run a check and each time I set the Gain to 200 and run a sequence for Darks the images taken have a gain of 139 and in the camera settings the gain has gone from 200 to 139.

I've checked that the Manage Gain box in Settings is ticked.

I know I'm doing something wrong in APT but I can't figure out what it is.

Can anyone help so I don't waste anymore time.

Thanks

Doug

1 hour ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, I'm writing this whilst banging head on the table as I've waisted 8 hours taking Darks..

I've recently bought a Zwo 1600MM Cool And I have been learning APT as I've never used it before.

I have been making a Darks Library, over the past 24 hours I've created one set of Darks at Gain 139, this morning I set up APT to do a sequence of Darks at Gain 200.  In order to set the Gain to 200 I opened up Settings under Camera in APT and adjusted the slider to Gain to 200 and pressed OK.  Everything appeared to be working correctly.

Having set up the imaging plan I went out and have just returned to find that every Dark taken today has a Gain of 139 and not 200. 

I've run a check and each time I set the Gain to 200 and run a sequence for Darks the images taken have a gain of 139 and in the camera settings the gain has gone from 200 to 139.

I've checked that the Manage Gain box in Settings is ticked.

I know I'm doing something wrong in APT but I can't figure out what it is.

Can anyone help so I don't waste anymore time.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

Not sure with slider you been adjusting, as l haven't used APT for awhile,

But ASI gain settings should be adjusted in the Cam driver itself.

Edited by RolandKol

In the gain settings menu, theres a drop down tab for Unity gain, highest dynamic range and custom (I think).  When you move the slider does it change the drop down menu to custom? Have you checked the fits header to make sure it isn't 200 gain?

Apt will connect to the same settings as you previously used unless when you click connect, you hold the shift key down too. This will open the connectivity window.

When you select your camera, the properties tab will become available to press. This is where you change the gain settings.