Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

I would have thought that focuser and extension would have done the job, unless the focal plane on your scope is unusually far out from the tube wall ?

This was the original focuser on my 12 inch F/5.3 which worked well with a wide range of eyepieces including the Myriad 20mm. It looks a similar in proportions to your current setup:

olddobfoc.jpg.21f61646dac996427f5a3f81d14edf0c.jpg

Don’t know about the focal plane. Do you not use a Telrad or just that right angled focuser John?

1 hour ago, MSammon said:

Don’t know about the focal plane. Do you not use a Telrad or just that right angled focuser John?

I use a Rigel Quickfinder which is just this side of the RA finder - It's not a good photo !

This shows the arrangement better and the Moonlite focuser that I now have fitted:

oo12dob02.JPG

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, John said:

I use a Rigel Quickfinder which is just this side of the RA finder - It's not a good photo !

This shows the arrangement better and the Moonlite focuser that I now have fitted:

oo12dob02.JPG

So if I get a RACI Finder will it be the same way up as the Telrad? And the Dob will still be inverted? Confused sorry for all the Q’s. Not sure if the straight through matches the Dob focuser.

Edited by MSammon

Right just tested it out. So the view through the straight through seems to match the view through the focuser. The Telrad is inverted. Doesn’t seem like any point getting a RACI if it will invert that view but I understand it will match the Telrad. Not sure what’s better.

Ignore my questions are now answered. Thanks. Think I’m happy with the view through the Telrad and finder scope matching. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Telrads are great. You won't go wrong with one, but be aware of them dewing up.

And just remember to switch them off, as its easy to forget !!!

Edited by Tubby Bear
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve ordered the longer extension tube from Orion Optics. It was around £60 inc p&p. Got some more little goodies in the post so hoping for clear skies this weekend :) 

oh I kept the Telrad as well. Glad I didn’t sell it with my old scope now I’ve figured out how to use it. 

Edited by MSammon