Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope 😁

I would have thought that focuser and extension would have done the job, unless the focal plane on your scope is unusually far out from the tube wall ?

This was the original focuser on my 12 inch F/5.3 which worked well with a wide range of eyepieces including the Myriad 20mm. It looks a similar in proportions to your current setup:

olddobfoc.jpg.21f61646dac996427f5a3f81d14edf0c.jpg

1 hour ago, MSammon said:

Don’t know about the focal plane. Do you not use a Telrad or just that right angled focuser John?

I use a Rigel Quickfinder which is just this side of the RA finder - It's not a good photo !

This shows the arrangement better and the Moonlite focuser that I now have fitted:

oo12dob02.JPG

2 minutes ago, John said:

I use a Rigel Quickfinder which is just this side of the RA finder - It's not a good photo !

This shows the arrangement better and the Moonlite focuser that I now have fitted:

oo12dob02.JPG

So if I get a RACI Finder will it be the same way up as the Telrad? And the Dob will still be inverted? Confused sorry for all the Q’s. Not sure if the straight through matches the Dob focuser.

Edited by MSammon

Right just tested it out. So the view through the straight through seems to match the view through the focuser. The Telrad is inverted. Doesn’t seem like any point getting a RACI if it will invert that view but I understand it will match the Telrad. Not sure what’s better.

I’ve ordered the longer extension tube from Orion Optics. It was around £60 inc p&p. Got some more little goodies in the post so hoping for clear skies this weekend :) 

oh I kept the Telrad as well. Glad I didn’t sell it with my old scope now I’ve figured out how to use it. 

Edited by MSammon

• 1 year later...
On 11/07/2019 at 21:21, John said:

oo12dob02.JPG

Hi John!

We have the same RACI 😃 although I have mounted a Skysurfer III onto mine for coarse pointing duties.

Having now installed the new red CR2 focuser onto my CT8, I'm finding that even with the 1" + 0.5" thick mounting blocks, I am still 4-6mm away from being able to focus with some of my Radians. I guess the focal plane is just particularly far out from the tube axis as the CTs are primarily designed as imaging Newts? Anyhow, I have had to order up a 1.5" Moonlite extension tube from FLO which I am now waiting  4-6 weeks to come into stock =O

Looking forward to catching up with you face to face again one day soon!

All the best,

Rob