SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New scope 😁

4920935F-B0E5-4114-9AFE-437A3CAE0591.thumb.jpeg.5a4fd96ccc5828de6b0f2355d80359be.jpegWell I’ve been dreaming about one of these VX12L’s but couldn’t afford one new. When one came up for sale 22 miles away I just had to snap it up 😁 1/10 wave as well apparently! (Though I can’t really interpret the test results?) Just need a right angled finder for it I think. Over the moon lol. 

433FAB2E-89FB-4599-A366-8C310CB140B4.jpeg

395D53D2-E010-4470-9749-DCA0D514FF68.jpeg

Edited by MSammon
  • Like 23

Excellent scope :thumbright:

My 12 inch dob is the same optical tube assembly but on a dob mount that mirrors the Orion Optics design in baltic ply. Works a treat :smiley:

From the test sheet, it looks like one of Orion Optics very good primary mirrors :smiley:

• Like 1

Yes I’m very happy thank you :) could see Jupiter’s cloud bands a bit clearer. Will have to wait until the weekend for DSO hunting. 

By the way two quick questions.

the middle of the cross hair on the finder is not where I have to be to line things up, more like bottom left. Is there an adjustment or do you just live with that? My old finder never had a cross hair.

Also, so glad I finally have a dual speed focuser after my old rack and pinion. However I need an extension tube for my 20mm eyepiece. Which one do you go for?

6 minutes ago, MSammon said:

Yes I’m very happy thank you :) could see Jupiter’s cloud bands a bit clearer. Will have to wait until the weekend for DSO hunting. 

By the way two quick questions.

the middle of the cross hair on the finder is not where I have to be to line things up, more like bottom left. Is there an adjustment or do you just live with that? My old finder never had a cross hair.

Also, so glad I finally have a dual speed focuser after my old rack and pinion. However I need an extension tube for my 20mm eyepiece. Which one do you go for?

The black finder holder has 2 black screws on it - these push on the finder and adjust the alignment of it. You can centre a target in the main scope and then look through the finder and line up the cross on the target using the screws, then it's ready to go.

• Thanks 1

As above for the finder adjustment. You want the X hairs to match as closely as possible with the centre of the view through the scope, at high power if possible. Precision with this will make finding things more precise. Once aligned, the finder should generally hold it's position but you may need to check it and re-adjust from time to time.

I found that I needed a 50mm extension tube to get my eyepieces to focus. Orion Optics supply one (I see it in your focuser) but the one I had was a bit crude so I swapped to one with a compression ring fitting.

I've now moved to a Moonlite focuser which stands further off the scope tube so no extension tube needed.

The Orion Optics dobs are quite a lot lighter than the Chinese alternatives. The aluminum tube of the Orion Optics saves weight and those MDF Chinese dob mounts weigh a lot !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSammon said:

However I need an extension tube for my 20mm eyepiece.

Great scope!

My OOUK VX10 has the same extension adapter but I replaced it with a Baader Quicklock, it works very well.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John said:

As above for the finder adjustment. You want the X hairs to match as closely as possible with the centre of the view through the scope, at high power if possible. Precision with this will make finding things more precise. Once aligned, the finder should generally hold it's position but you may need to check it and re-adjust from time to time.

I found that I needed a 50mm extension tube to get my eyepieces to focus. Orion Optics supply one (I see it in your focuser) but the one I had was a bit crude so I swapped to one with a compression ring fitting.

I've now moved to a Moonlite focuser which stands further off the scope tube so no extension tube needed.

The Orion Optics dobs are quite a lot lighter than the Chinese alternatives. The aluminum tube of the Orion Optics saves weight and those MDF Chinese dob mounts weigh a lot !

Are the Moonlites a straight swap John with no drilling? 

33 minutes ago, MSammon said:

I think the one on there should be pretty good Mike, not sure it is worth the expense of upgrading. As I recall they are pretty similar to the Baader Steeltrack focusers, very nice. I think John's had a single speed one on it so more worthwhile upgrading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I think the one on there should be pretty good Mike, not sure it is worth the expense of upgrading. As I recall they are pretty similar to the Baader Steeltrack focusers, very nice. I think John's had a single speed one on it so more worthwhile upgrading.

Ah right okay. Yes I was hoping I could just get a longer tube for it but not sure I can?

Does it not reach focus with the extension tube?

EDIT just re read this, are you saying you need a further extension over and above the one with it when you use your 20mm?

49 minutes ago, MSammon said:

I did need to make 2 holes in slightly different positions but the tube is aluminum so this was not a difficult job.

See how you get on with the focuser that is already fitted though - it looks a decent unit.

What 20mm eyepiece are we talking about here by the way ? - most eyepieces have a focal plane that is within 10mm of each other but one or two types vary a lot so will need much more focuser movement than ordinarily necessary.

14 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

If your mirror cell is the same as mine you can lower it a bit,therefore achieving focus.

Mine too , there are 2 sets of mounting holes in the cell supports. The OP can also shorten (tighten) collimation bolts to lower a bit more too.

• Like 1

If and when you decide to go for a Moonlite focuser, go for the 10 inch tube fitting kit. The 12 kit fits Skywatcher, GSO, and Orion (USA) tube diameters but Orion Optics tubes are a bit slimmer so the 10 inch kit is a much better fit I found.

Orion Optics tend to position the focal plane of the primary mirror further outside the tube wall than the other manufacturers I've mentioned here (the slimmer tube plays a part in that) which is why you need extension tube(s) or the Moonlite risers to get eyepieces to reach focus.

18 minutes ago, John said:

I did need to make 2 holes in slightly different positions but the tube is aluminum so this was not a difficult job.

See how you get on with the focuser that is already fitted though - it looks a decent unit.

What 20mm eyepiece are we talking about here by the way ? - most eyepieces have a focal plane that is within 10mm of each other but one or two types vary a lot so will need much more focuser movement than ordinarily necessary.

It was the Myriad XWA 20mm

Just now, MSammon said:

It was the Myriad XWA 20mm

Thats odd - when I tested the Myriad 20mm I seem to recall it came to focus in my 12 F/5.3 OO scope at about the same place that the 21mm Ethos does - plus or minus a mm or two :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

Very nice scope...Going to be a keeper with those specs indeed.

Freddie.

• Like 1