Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Mark Daniels

My origonal kit. Who had this book as a child?

15 hours ago, Macavity said:

Ah, SPM... My very first (and only, for many years) Astronomy Book!
All those years spent under my pillow. I can still "quote" some bits. 😛

I "graduated" some years later to this one... Still worthy of keeping re.
*photographic* maps of the Stars and Moon... Lists of "DSOs" etc. 😎

9780002193245-us-300.jpg.dc703464fdeec19d9efc4a3bdda60abc.jpg

Yes, I have that as well, though it was a relatively late addition. I know where it is in my bedroom bookcase, must dig it out again.

• Like 1

And who has this?

IMG_20190709_101944.thumb.jpg.0c5c9377cc7cd72aa382b7822518f3e7.jpg

Or more likely, who doesn't have this?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Yes, I have that as well, though it was a relatively late addition. I know where it is in my bedroom bookcase, must dig it out again.

Sometimes it makes you think "just how far" (e.g. amateur) IMAGING has come?
When you look at the (non red sensitive) "Palomar Plates" used for the Star Map! 
It does have a cracking Photographic Map of the MOON though. 😎

Like many of my "vintage" books the spine is broken and bits have fallen off! 🙄

Since some of my books have no resale value, I have been known to "finish the
process" and CUT out the pages... put them in pockets w/loose leaf binders etc. 
Maps etc. can be laid FLAT! Old Books get some *active* use in the present... 🙂

Edited by Macavity

One of my first reference star atlas was nortans star atlas. It was the must have atlas at the time in the mid 70's. 

0852489005.jpg

• Like 1

Still got mine and still in good nick.

P1090343.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.