SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M11 The wild Duck cluster

M11 The wild duck cluster in the constellation Scutum at around 30 degrees altitude from here in Runcorn, England.

Skywatcher 1000/120mm & Canon 100d. 30 secs, iso 800.

Cropped a little and levels adjusted in PS6.

(Edit: M11, not M22. Thanks Steve.)

M22 Wild duck _MG_3649 2.jpg

Edited by Gary085
  • Like 5

Ah you are right! Not sure how I got that wrong as I had to look up where to find it on stellarium! First time I have ever seen this one, nice one to view visually too.

One of my likes too this one, It sits in the centre of the Scutum Star Cloud, which 
is a very dense area indeed.  It was discovered by Gottfried Kirch, a German Astronomer.
And I believer it was Admiral Lord Smythe who named it for it's resemblance to a flight of Wild Ducks.
I'm afraid he saw something I can't, perhaps he had a better imagination than me though 😃.
Nice Capture Gary.
Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, barkis said:

One of my likes too this one, It sits in the centre of the Scutum Star Cloud, which 
is a very dense area indeed.  It was discovered by Gottfried Kirch, a German Astronomer.
And I believer it was Admiral Lord Smythe who named it for it's resemblance to a flight of Wild Ducks.
I'm afraid he saw something I can't, perhaps he had a better imagination than me though 😃.
Nice Capture Gary.
Ron.

Interesting, I thought it was meant to be a single duck! I kind kind of see one... maybe my brain seeing what it  wants to see.