Narrowband

USB 3 hub

Doug64

Hi,

I currently have a Startech USB 3 powered hub and a gaming computer that runs USB as well as Cat 5/6.

Having just purchased a Zwo 1600MM Cool which has USB 3 and a  USB 2 hub I was wondering what is the best way to set everything up.

My guide camera is USB 3 so that can be plugged into the Startech USB 3 powered hub.

My Zwo 1600 is USB 3 so that can go into the hub.

Now I have two other devices which are USB 2, a Starlight xpress filter wheel and the mount. 

If I connect the filterwheel into the USB 2 hub on the back  of the ZWO 1600 with 0.5m cable will this then reduce the camera down to operating at USB 2?.

Likewise if I put the mount USB 2 into the Startech hub does this then reduce everything plugged into the hub to USB 2 instead of USB 3.

Am I best using two separate hubs one for USB 3 and another for USB 2 or would it be best to use a mini PC or something like ASIair at the mount then wi-fi or Cat 5/6 back to computer.

Everything will be on my mount which is outside as I don't have an observatory.

Thanks for any advice on this is I'm not very good with IT.

Doug

Apparently usb 3 also has usb 2 cables or something so plugging usb 2 stuff in means you still get usb 3 speeds from devices that support that speed and usb 2 speed if the device connected only supports usb 2. So go for whatever suits best as it should not make a difference.

Plugging USB2 devices into USB3 hubs won't affect the USB3 speed as there are separate connections and circuitry in the USB3 hub to work with both USB3 and USB2.

USB2 connector has 4 pins, 2 of which are for power, while the USB3 connector has 9 pins, four for USB2 (for backwards compatibility), and 5 new pins exclusively for working with USB3. However, USB3 devices do use the two power pins from the USB2 section of the connector to power the USB3 device.

From the two USB3 connectors below pins 1 to 4 are USB2, and pins 5 to 9 are USB3. Pins 1 and 4 are the power pins used by both.

576x423px-ll-a1faa419-usb3.0pinouts.jpeg.9400b603f35e333be5c4fc8c89ed14fb.jpegUSB-3.0-pinout.png.fcffda78ded9f76d51bf4610e26bf48e.png

Alan 

Edited by symmetal

Thanks for the information.

I always thought plugging any USB 2 device into a USB 3 hub makes everything on the hub run at USB 2 speed that's why I asked the question and I'm glad I was wrong.

You live and learn.

Thanks again.

Doug

Edited by Doug64