Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 5905/8

mdstuart

So my first night looking for new targets with my 20 inch dob.

I went for a few new galaxies in Draco. The highlight was the pair NGC 5905/8. I had seen the edge on NGC 5908 before in my 10 inch scope which required averted vision. I can confirm that doubling the aperture makes a big difference. NGC 5908 was a bright slither. NGC 5905 was much fainter and required averted vision.

Here is an image of them from the internet.

n5908s.jpg.bb54ed62c7e1f1c4c27532b26bc545d6.jpg

The faintest star I could see was mag 14.7 so as deep as my old 16 inch but then its not fully dark at this time of year so I think I will be able to go beyond 15 I think.

Finished with looking at a few star clusters. They are mesmorising in this new scope now that I have go the hang of collimation and all the stars are like little tight points of light.

And I put the scope away myself using the new wheels on the base so all good.

Mark the galaxy hunter.

Edited by mdstuart
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, mdstuart said:

The faintest star I could see was mag 14.7

Great observing Mark, where can I find faint stars listed? Stellarium goes just over 10 mag even when I set limiting magnitude to 17... I would like to try and find my own limit.

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great observing Mark, where can I find faint stars listed? Stellarium goes just over 10 mag even when I set limiting magnitude to 17... I would like to try and find my own limit.

I use Carte du Ciel, a free piece of software. I had to download and instal the UCAC4 catalog with stars to mag 16.

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download

There are a number of pieces of software out there that work in a similar way.

Mark

• Like 1