Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

oldannie

Help needed choosing motor/electronic focuser

I've read some threads about this topic but still confused about what might be best for me.  I have an observatory setup for deep sky imaging and have tried to keep it simple.  My Takahashi 106 has a smooth focus mechanism so I find all I need for that is a bhatinov  mask together with Atik Artemis capture software.  My guider is stand alone - Lacerta MGEN and I use the synscan for mount control.  I'm not particularly technically minded and find this setup just works for me.  Recently I've set up my HEQ5 outside to do some lunar imaging with hubby's scope - Skymax 150.  This has a moonlight focuser fitted which I don't find works that well on the skymax.  Have been using it with a little ZWO and Firecapture.  Have enjoyed the lunar imaging so decided to buy a C8 (would like the C9.25 but am in my early 70's so weight is an issue).  Would like some kind of motor/electronic focuser and have been looking at the JMI but wondered if there others I could look at?  Am not great at DIY so want something that's easy to fit.  I don't mind using some additional software but want to be able to continue using the synscan for  mount control. Am  not particularly constrained by cost !

Thanks

Annie

Thanks - will have a look at this.

Annie

When I was using my C8 SE for planetary imaging I felt that an electric focuser would be nice as it wobbled around so much when I touched it.  I changed to a CPC800 which has the same model C8 OTA on a heavier mount, and it does not move much when I grab the focuser knob, so I don't feel the need for an electric focuser,  Other folks' opinions may vary.

Not considered that Geoff but will give it consideration though don't want to sell my HEQ5 but do want to find a use for it!  Am particularly interested that you say the fork mount would be heavier than an HEQ5 pro synscan.

Thanks for the response.

Annie

21 hours ago, oldannie said:

Not considered that Geoff but will give it consideration though don't want to sell my HEQ5 but do want to find a use for it!  Am particularly interested that you say the fork mount would be heavier than an HEQ5 pro synscan.

I was assuming that you would be using the HEQ5, which is obviously more stable than the 8SE Nexstar mount.   I chose the CPC800 over a HEQ5 Synscan or suchlike mounts on the grounds that it would be easier to set up in the early hours of the morning (no polar aligning required).  I tried the original C8 on a EQ-5 and it was okay but I didn't like the polar aligning and other fiddling about required to use it.