SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Needle Galaxy in (L)RGB

The Needle in RGB

A beautiful edge on spiral galaxy in the constellation Coma Berenices, around 38,5 million LY from earth.

Investigations with the Spitzer IR telescope suggests that the galaxy may actually be a barred spiral galaxy with an inner ring as well.

--------

Finally got around to processing my data on NGC 4565 from March.

This was one of my "test projects" from this year, where I only shot R-G-B and created a synthetic luminance master from those frames.

I think that the most efficient way is still to shoot pure luminance and then just enough R-G-B to get the color you want. Unless one is imaging star clusters, then I think it is totally fine to skip luminance altogether and get as much color data as possible.

I will try to do a "super luminance" where I add the R-G-B frames to the luminance stack at some point as well.

Shot with my Hypercam 183m V2 and totalling aroung 4,2 hours of data.

More info here: https://www.astrobin.com/412663/B/

Comments and critique is always welcome.

Needle_Web_Resampled.thumb.jpg.5d7556923b44e21bca33685e0d66995a.jpg

I decided  to put this post in "Getting started with imaging" as it may be interresting for beginners thinking if luminance is worth it.

• Like 13