Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse NOW!

Paul M

1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Spooky, I was in France for the 1999 eclipse, lol. 

That was just awesome - we had no idea what to expect.  My abiding memory is the wave of 'cheers' that came with the eclipse as people along the path reacted (we were in the middle of nowhere!)

Helen

• Like 1

Just now, Paul M said:

I really wanted to get that big one in the States last year but no way could my shifts accommodate that :( 

It was our silver wedding anniversary so we planned a special trip around the eclipse 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helen said:

That was just awesome - we had no idea what to expect.  My abiding memory is the wave of 'cheers' that came with the eclipse as people along the path reacted (we were in the middle of nowhere!)

Helen

Yep, people next to us we're opening bottles of champagne, lol. They are beautiful sights to behold though. 

My son in law is in Chile for the event as part of his job at Exeter Uni (he got his PHD in Astro Physics back in December and is now doing post-doc work).

He is somewhere in the Atacama desert as we speak I believe, but not heard from him yet.. he was very excited though, as his work is mainly theoretical, so the opportunity to get some real life observing of a total eclipse was quite an event for him. I told him I was VERY envious of his all expense paid trip, even though it took him 2 flights and almost 24 hours to get there! 😊.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 4

A total solar eclipse will occur over much of the central Eastern Hemisphere on Monday, August 2, 2027. It will commence over the eastern Atlantic Ocean and travel past the Strait of Gibraltar between Spain and Morocco. Totality will be visible in southern Spain as well as parts of North Africa and the Middle East, as well as the northern tip of the Horn of Africa. 

Or this one, 

A total solar eclipse will occur on August 12, 2026, in North America and Europe. The total eclipse will pass over the Arctic, Greenland, Iceland, Atlantic Ocean and northern Spain. 

Hopefully I'll make it to these, lol I'll be 67 and 68

Edited by Nigella Bryant

Can remember 2012 Solar Eclipse 

Where I was, we only had 80% eclipse

Was set up on foreshore, with a college, as well as students from Bond Uni, to view the eclipse

Lot of club members, went 1800kms north to Cairns

Was partly clouded out up there

Same year, we also had the transit of Venus, and about 20 club members, were setup, park adjacent to Sea World, Goldcoast

For the transit, left my ED80 visual, and lot of members, were imaging

Members of the public walking pass, had a view, and were amazed

Next solar eclipse east coast Australia, not until 2028

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/australia.html

John

Edited by cletrac1922

Ironically, the city called El Transito couldn't see any transit... 😅

1052725650_Screenshot152.jpg.73444cd0a318a8b719e2922deaf188d3.jpg

I was just 10 during the eclipse of 1999, and I was lucky to view it from my home near Paris. Oddly, I don't have any memory of that event at all. I'd love to see one again!

Edited by Space Oddities

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Sadly have to let this one pass me by. Still have fond memories of the 2017 one

IMG_9704crop.thumb.JPG.0934cb52e94b8a113f381288aa37f04b.JPGIMG_9709crop.thumb.JPG.efaa52b97533863360c55634ed9c8b9b.JPG

That was an awesome sight to see!  I watched it from Bowling Green KY, an hour south of me. Already planning for the 2024 which will be an hour north of me.

Rob

I was in:

Hawaii in 1991 - clouded out.

Chile in 1994 - Seen through thin clouds and suffering terribly from altitude sickness. Hand held with a point and shoot film camera. The developer ruined the negative with crap.eclipse.thumb.jpg.f9382e16b24de34fb8c41d048bb17806.jpg

India in 1995 - amazing if short, the eclipse finished with a double diamond ring.

Venezuela in 1998 - perfect view though didn't think we'd be able to see it when we got to the centre line because it was horizon to horizon clouds.

Penzance in 1999 - I wanted to see an eclipse on UK soil but we were under heavy skies. I took a portable TV with me and "observed" with that 😀.

I'm way too ill and poor to travel to any more eclipses so I just enjoy experiencing them via the internet.

Edited by ringz
  • Like 1

It was a wonderful experience and a great one to share with my dad. Lovely clear skies in Bella Vista, Argentina. The moon was inky black at totality - blacker than most according to the experienced eclipse observers. Although low in the sky it certainly seemed higher and was lovely set against the Andes.

Quick phone pic attached as I was concentrating on just enjoying the views.

4FD8E653-4329-440C-AF9E-7827170733C4.jpeg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, GavStar said:

It was a wonderful experience and a great one to share with my dad. Lovely clear skies in Bella Vista, Argentina. The moon was inky black at totality - blacker than most according to the experienced eclipse observers. Although low in the sky it certainly seemed higher and was lovely set against the Andes.

Quick phone pic attached as I was concentrating on just enjoying the views.

Excellent news!

Nice photo too. I've only ever taken quick "ambiance" snaps during totality. It is, for me, an all senses experience. Hear it, feel it, er can't actually say I've tasted it if I'm honest :) and last but not least, see it. I'd be wasting my time, money and effort if I tried serious imaging.

What does an eclipse taste like..?

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 1