Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning inside ?

I was wondering if any of you opend up one like this to clean inside. (front and back)

Can it be done by a newbe ? or do you say hands off, you (I) will kill the scope ?

TIA Pim

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

The dust visible in the photos looks like it is on the front of the corrector plate and the inside looks clean so there is no reason to open it up as far as I can see. Even if the dust shown is on the inside there isn't enough of it to make a difference when you are looking through the scope. 

4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

The dust visible in the photos looks like it is on the front of the corrector plate and the inside looks clean so there is no reason to open it up as far as I can see. Even if the dust shown is on the inside there isn't enough of it to make a difference when you are looking through the scope. 

thats correct, I did not clean the outside, ok I had too, I will show you a foto made with this scope.

IMG_0383.JPG

Edited by Roadrunr

18 minutes ago, Roadrunr said:

thats correct, I did not clean the outside, ok I had too, I will show you a foto made with this scope.

IMG_0383.JPG

If that photo was taken by holding a phone to the eyepiece, you need to clean the eyepiece, or as @John says, the diagonal mirror. 

1 minute ago, Ricochet said:

If that photo was taken by holding a phone to the eyepiece, you need to clean the eyepiece, or as @John says, the diagonal mirror. 

photo was made with hardware to put a Canon body to the scopen and a canon body

If you can't see or photograph the large black spot in the centre of the corrector then you've no chance with the specks of dust on the corrector. The dust on the photo is, as already mentioned, near the camera.   😀 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

photo was made with hardware to put a Canon body to the scopen and a canon body.

1&2 body only 3&4 with occulair 5 the setup used by 3&4

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

the setup.jpg

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That dust is so sharp, it's on the camera sensor cover, or very close to it.

This photo is taken with the same body. so ?

IMG_0638.JPG

Edited by Roadrunr

The dust is close to the camera sensor. It would not be in focus at all if it was on the primary mirror or meniscus lens of the scope. There is a diagonal mirror within the rear end of the scope - thats what I would be checking for dust. There may also be a glass disk across the bottom of the eyepiece tube of the scope to keep dust out - dust on that could also be responsible.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

The dust is close to the camera sensor. It would not be in focus at all if it was on the primary mirror or meniscus lens of the scope. There is a diagonal mirror within the rear end of the scope - thats what I would be checking for dust. There may also be a glass disk across the bottom of the eyepiece tube of the scope to keep dust out - dust on that could also be responsible.

👍

10 minutes ago, John said:

👍

When my asi390 arrived it had dust on the sensor, sharp dust bunnies appeared when trying eeva with it.

Removed the protect window and used a qtip to remove the dust and all was good, same senario with my asi385 I don't blame zwo as it's dust and its everywhere...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Roadrunr said:

This photo is taken with the same body. so ?

IMG_0638.JPG

The longer the focal length of the lens, the sharper dust appears.

At 1250mm focal length dust on the sensor cover glass that appears terrible may be barely detectable at 50mm focal length with a large aperture.

That said, it may be on your diagonal, but it does look incredibly sharp to me.

• Thanks 1