SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Storage in new shed concerns

I'm currently in the process of shopping for Sheds, and one of the things I'm thinking of storing in it is my imaging setup (AZEQ6 and ED80), on a tripod with castors.  The idea being I can roll it out, secure it, polar align and go. 

One of the things that worries me slightly is keeping the setup clean and bug free.  Is this possible and how would I go about it?  Obviously I would use some kind of dust cover, but what about spiders and the like?

Also, is getting my new shed insulated something worth doing?

• Like 1

Chiminea covers are inexpensive solutions to this sort of thing and well worth looking at, as are outdoor furniture covers - if you hunt around you can get some really good quality ones for far less than bone-fide telescope covers and they come in all shapes and sizes.

No technical ideas here...and this has never been proved, but I use Conkers around the shed to keep the spiders away.... Apparently they contain some noxious goo which spiders hate...take that spiders!

Sheds are generally made from wood that's still fairly wet from the pressure treating process.  The conditions inside one can be quite damp for the first 3 - 6 months, let it dry out before storing your astro great in there.

Spiders and other creepie crawlies get everywhere. Unless you weld, or make similar arrangements on every seam of a metal shed, spiders will investigate.

My 11 years old wood obsy is definitely not spider proof. But the number of bug incursions and their consequences have not been an issue.

Interesting thought from Mark. I have never heard of conkers being used.

Burglar alarm PIR sensors in room corners tend to suffer spiders. The alarm service tech solution is spray with Mr Sheen or similar once or twice per year.
No harm in keeping your OTA, mount, etc well polished.
WD40 on steel tripod legs and bright mount parts will probably discourage bugs.

When I get a spider in a corner of the obsy, and it is not doing harm, I leave it.
Basically while the spider is there, it eats anything else that happens to be passing.

If replacing my shed, I would go for wood again. lots or reasons. But that is another discussion.

Hope this is useful. David.

58 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

Sheds are generally made from wood that's still fairly wet from the pressure treating process.  The conditions inside one can be quite damp for the first 3 - 6 months, let it dry out before storing your astro great in there.

Good tip! Wouldn't have thought of that.

I was thinking I could perhaps wrap the top half of the setup in some kind of plastic sheeting and seal it off (with some silica packs inside) with a bungie cordat the neck of the tripod.    Then cover with a dust sheet.  Sound like that would be sufficient in keeping the majority of creepy crawlies from the inside of my telescope.  Any input on the benefits of insulaton?

Edited by scitmon

46 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I have a high security steel shed with a built in ventilation system and haven’t noticed any spiders. No problems with dampness either. Downside is they cost a lot more than a typical wood shed.

EC5A0B4C-0DE7-4E88-9323-C8ECBACFB317.jpeg

Ah! Asgard- purveyors of fine metal sheds and things.

Got an Asgard bike box and it is a an excellent shed.

The thing that’s odd spider wise in the metal shed, despite not seeing any spiders, is there are no cobwebs anywhere and it’s been there for three years. There must be spiders hiding away somewhere in there as they get everywhere.

Asgard do indeed make very fine sheds that are police and insurance rated for security. 👍🏻