Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hickson 79, Arp 81

jetstream

The sky is great tonight, very transparent with the MW very sharply defined and the 24" was set up, collimated and nicely cooled.

After talking with some experienced large dob members (thanks Calvin, Damian) on here I decided to give some unusual and difficult objects a try. First on the list was ARP 81, I figured the listed mag would give me a shot. The DSC put me right on the spot with the 12.5mm Docter, actually quite faint but there were suspicions of a couple of very faint knots in there. In goes the 7mm KK ortho- a proven copy- and the object turned into a small worm like galaxy with 2 brighter knots showing with nice separation. Mag was 357x.

Well that one was harder than I thought... but I did find it and see it, a big challenge is getting on the object with a .128 deg TFOV using the ortho...

Now for Seyferts Sextet or Hicksons 79.

This object is listed as hard to break up so I figured it would be a good test of my eyes and the optics. The 12.5mm UWA picked up the comma or kind "u" shaped galaxy system with no issue. In goes the 7mm KK ortho and there they go! 3 separated galaxies for sure with a 4th possibly in averted. The shape was like an "L" but the 4th one that seemed to dance and move(?) created fleeting glimpses of a box shape. This object reminds me of Stephans Quintet somewhat.

I'm pretty happy about seeing this one!

Many more objects observed including Magic Carpet PN, showing its green, 2 toned shaped and the carpet feature nicely, the 10mm BCO really did well here. A new one tonight was the Blue Raquet ball PN, and yes its blue! a very nice color and again the 10BCO was used at 249x. No filters were used on these PN.

I am very pleased with this 24" dob and one thing is for sure- good,proven orthos are needed to open up some of these objects. The Docter 12.5mm UWA is a high transmission eyepiece, it reminds me of the Delos in this regard and is a huge asset for getting on the spot. My 3 EP for this are the Docter 12.5mm,10mm BCO and the 7mm KK ortho. I need to test the other orthos out when I get the chance.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, mdstuart said:

You are clearly enjoying that dob. See how many "fleas" around NGC 7331 in Pegasus you can spot..😀

Mark

Will do Mark, I love NGC7331 itself. Pegasus might be viewable if I wheel the scope to a different spot so trees are not an issue if not now it will be soon. I did count over10 galaxies in the Arp 172 area in the FOV of the 12.5mm at once, kind of hard to keep track of them.

I find I can only observe this faint stuff for so long and then my eyes kind of go- maybe 1-1.5 hrs, do you find this?

• Like 1

Nice one Gerry...as faint hunting goes a coffee every hour along with a smoke breaks it up but if conditions are good we just go for it ...6/7 hrs sessions if we are luck!....

• Like 1

Lovely report Gerry and as though I was there with you 😉. Seyferts was a good test of the optics and as Mark points out the cluster around NGC7331 is fabulous. 

Next time I head for galaxies I'm going to have to try a couple of new eye pieces. It does strain on the eye sometimes but I've had a few brilliant 12 hour sessions when the eye is good. 

Hopefully the weather is kind and we'll read more of your sessions and thoughts on the scopes performance soon. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mdstuart said:

You are clearly enjoying that dob. See how many "fleas" around NGC 7331 in Pegasus you can spot..😀

Mark

10 hours ago, mapstar said:

the cluster around NGC7331 is fabulous. 

Well fellas the night gave avg to below avg transparency and Pegasus wasn't that high but... for about 25 minutes the avg trans allowed the 4 easy fleas no issues and on the other side above a triangle of stars and with a star nearby I saw another very faint round non stellar glow. The 10 BCO gave hints of it so in went the 7kk, better but I tried the VIP/10BCO for 5mm and no question the glow was not a star.This was at 500x if the VIP gives 2x with the10 BCO. On went an extension ring and that much better again.

I moved a bit and found another glow with a tighter star, using 500x and also with the ring, not sure of the mag. So tonight 6 fleas were seen.

Another feature I saw in Stephans Quintet was a "bright" knot on the bottom of the bottom galaxy (dob orientation) this could be a 4th galaxy core. I will revisit this area again in better conditions. The MW showed little structure, the Cygnus dust lane was weak and the southern split very much blended into the sky. When the Quintet disappeared in the EP I packed it in.

Lesson learned: the 10mm BCO/VIP might be better than I thought it could be for this, it was VG. More testing under better skies. Btw using the realign on object feature when using an ortho, it will put the ortho right back on target when moved off. Not bad for a .13 TFOV....or less.

• Like 5

Excellent 6! I saw at least two last night but I was only passing by 7331.

So next recommendation...how about ngc5353 and friends in cvn...and maybe the supernova although it's now down to mag 16...

Mark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Excellent 6! I saw at least two last night but I was only passing by 7331.

So next recommendation...how about ngc5353 and friends in cvn...and maybe the supernova although it's now down to mag 16...

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'm kind of in galaxy mode right now for some reason.NGC 5353! you are making things tough Mark lol! It will be lowish at the needed 12:30 am minimum for darkness and this area heads below the trees but I might have a loophole to observe through. I'll check it out on a less than perfect night so no wasted time.

Is the SN in 5353 itself?

I need practise on these faint point sources too in order to stand any chance on Einsteins Cross. During all this I'm honing in on my best EP combination which does seem to matter. Last night my 6mm Circle T and 5mm Circle T were ok but not at the 7kk level and pretty far off the 10BCO/VIP.

A nice session but not up to your usual transparency. A little bit like over here by the sounds of it. 

We seem to suffer from quite a lot of poor transparency but I'll admit I've not been out for quite some time so the sky conditions may have changed. Hopefully this upcoming winter season will be a good one.

Hickson 55 should be a nicely placed target in Draco and a great challenge which I'm sure you'll tick off. A personal favourite. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mapstar said:

A nice session but not up to your usual transparency. A little bit like over here by the sounds of it. 

We seem to suffer from quite a lot of poor transparency but I'll admit I've not been out for quite some time so the sky conditions may have changed. Hopefully this upcoming winter season will be a good one.

Hickson 55 should be a nicely placed target in Draco and a great challenge which I'm sure you'll tick off. A personal favourite. 

I'm just happy to observe again Damian, the weather was poor from last fall, not much observing at all. I miss those cold clear winter nights, we had cold with cloud and tons of snow. Overcast now with a thunderstorm last night after I packed up.

Hickson 55 is behind a bunch of trees, I'm in a draw between 2 ridges at the bottom but my new obs spot I made up on the ridge top might work. I just can't see wheeling this sucker up about 150 yards of steep hill though lol!  After I check out the placement of 55 up there I might put the 24" on my trailer and drive it up.

My plan is to have all my equipment up there eventually with a 15'x15' concrete observing pad, local thermals are excellent up there.

Many kudos to you guys for the excellent observations, made in less than transparent skies for some of your obs.

• Like 2

The NGC 5353 group is interesting even with my 12 inch scope. I got the SN some time back but it's faded beyond the reach of my "peashooter" now - time for you big boys to have a go :smiley:

• Like 3

On 03/07/2019 at 18:01, mapstar said:

I think this has been a terrible couple of years, almost like looking through a fogged up ep....just think how the "cone" neb will pop into view this coming winter Gerry!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, estwing said:

I think this has been a terrible couple of years, almost like looking through a fogged up ep....just think how the "cone" neb will pop into view this coming winter Gerry!!!

I'm having a taste of this...yes I can't wait for -30c after a snowstorm, the sky is brilliant. Last year -30c with all cloud and snow, piles of snow. Now we are very dry with forest fires becoming an issue.

One thing is for sure, you guys, observing though challenging conditions and seeing the things you do is a testament to your observing ability and commitment! Because of the conditions you observe in a lot, the dob mob will be unstoppable in excellent ones.

Yes, Cone here we come!

( I "hate" this neb! lol!) Its given me grief as has the Eridanus Loop...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, estwing said:

.and I'll be back on it soon as!!!

Well, with my 15" I have seen one small streak of nebulosity on the Cones side but no dark or grey or any notch... kind of. If I could see that small streak at all the Cone must be the contrast on the one side.

This is one frustrating feature in a very beautiful Christmas tree cluster.

Knisely says the DGM NPB works so I'm going to borrow the grand daughters example, put it in my beloved 25mm TV plossl and give it another whirl. Most serious reports say that it is flighty, even in big scopes under dark skies- sometimes they see it sometimes not.

Eagerly waiting reports!

• Like 2

Really interesting read and good to get an idea of some potential targets for the season ahead. It is reassuring to know that existing objects take on a whole new wow factor using a large dob, and galaxies that were not visible previously are now within reach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldfruit said:

Really interesting read and good to get an idea of some potential targets for the season ahead. It is reassuring to know that existing objects take on a whole new wow factor using a large dob, and galaxies that were not visible previously are now within reach.

I didn't realize you had a big dob as well- what scope?

For me the step up from the 15" was a very noticeable one on galaxies in particular. I still cant get over the views of the Swan neb and the Eagle neb through the 24", I had no idea that these would be so enhanced over the 15" (& its no slouch). I eagerly wait M42!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

I didn't realize you had a big dob as well- what scope?

For me the step up from the 15" was a very noticeable one on galaxies in particular. I still cant get over the views of the Swan neb and the Eagle neb through the 24", I had no idea that these would be so enhanced over the 15" (& its no slouch). I eagerly wait M42!

It was made by a chap called Bob Sutton who unfortunately passed away recently and is modelled on an Obsession telescope. The scope is approx 13 years old and the primary was recoated with Orion Optice Hi Lux coatings late last year.  The optic were sourced from Markus Ludes (APM) and are either Lomo or Intes Micro optics and is what I call "my forever scope" as I do not think I will ever manage to negotiate that well with the wife again!

I am also waiting for the darker nights as I have had first light with the scope but conditions are less than ideal this time of year so I have not had the chance to see how deep the scope will go, but if first light is anything to go by I am in for a treat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldfruit said:

It was made by a chap called Bob Sutton who unfortunately passed away recently and is modelled on an Obsession telescope. The scope is approx 13 years old and the primary was recoated with Orion Optice Hi Lux coatings late last year.  The optic were sourced from Markus Ludes (APM) and are either Lomo or Intes Micro optics and is what I call "my forever scope" as I do not think I will ever manage to negotiate that well with the wife again!

I am also waiting for the darker nights as I have had first light with the scope but conditions are less than ideal this time of year so I have not had the chance to see how deep the scope will go, but if first light is anything to go by I am in for a treat.

Excellent!

I like hearing about these big dobs and what type, who made them etc. Yes, the " negotiations" with the other half- I was dancing on marbles for a while lol!

You have some great optics! I eagerly wait reports once astro darkness descends in your area, these large aperture scopes sure make some things come alive.

• Like 1