Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovely Doubles Each End Of The Snake

10.20, sky fairly clear, still light - Jupiter low, east of south - looked good with his entourage in a straight line - aligned the mount bearing the ED80 on Jupiter.

Delta Ser (Serpens Caput, the head of the snake/serpent) - a bright binary, close match, 3.9" separation.  10.27, still quite light, but GoTo put me right on it using x24.  I split the pair with x96 - still close, a good match, and a fine sight with the slightly brighter star above the other.  Goes to show the pleasure you can have with doubles with even a lightish or polluted sky!

Couldn't reach the tail because of bamboos, so I had to move the 'scope and re-align.  

Theta Ser (Serpens Cauda, the tail), a bright, matched binary, and wide at 22".  Again, GoTo hit the target (using SAO numbers as usual), and being 11.00, better darkness was welcome.  This was a lovely, bright matched pair - still close at just x24 of course, and sitting off the bottom edge of a near-square of fainter stars.

Sigma 2375 - still in the tail - (2)+(2) - a matched pair of inseparable binaries, at 2.6".  A very good match indeed, split using x120 and AV, still appearing very close.

The fourth target, back to the head, was Sigma 1950, a fairly close match of fainter stars at 3.4".  The number was not in the handset, so I hopped from Alphecca, but this one eluded me - assuming it was the right star, it was also very faint.  

I finished with Graff's Cluster, OC IC4756, in the serpent's tail.  It was viewed at x24, with the TV Plossl, the Meade 5000 UWA, and the Myriad MWA, in order of increasing TFOV.  All three gave sharp images, dropping away only slightly at the edge.  The TV perhaps gave a little more contrast.  Nothing much in it really, except for the fields.  Staying with the Myriad, OC NGC6633 (Oph) was just at the other side of the 4+ degree field - a denser, brighter object.

A very pleasing session, hitting most of the planned targets, and ending after two hours.

Doug.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...