Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Chriske

Printing Saturn V

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Chriske said:

I'll gather all stl's and post them here.

Great - thank you.

Edited by Gina

Wow! 🚀

23 hours ago, Chriske said:

Done..!

image.jpeg.9c63a58d28c60e01983d755c4576814e.jpeg

I have been following this topic during the past few days/week with awe and I am very impressed. Can't wait to see it 'dressed up' with the self-adhesive labels, etc. 😜

Better, not perfect.
It's only a few millimetres 'big' so, It'll do...
Need four of these.

Manoeuvrability of that upper stage is secured now with four of these thruster units...:laugh2:

image.jpeg.a57a263e1e3c91c7e5ee0a6d4f980554.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chriske said:

Manoeuvrability of that upper stage is secured now with four of these thruster units...

Phew! 🤣🤣

That looks pretty good for something so small, Chris.  Wonder if my printer will do as well...  😁

20 minutes ago, Gina said:

That looks pretty good for something so small, Chris.  Wonder if my printer will do as well...  😁

I'm not at all happy with that result at all Gina, let that be clear, I said 'better' not perfect. That is spoken as a 3D-printing 'nerd'. A regular visitor(at our local observatory) will not judge it as I do of course.
I'm only happy with it because of the hight of this rocket. It will be 'out of reach(view)' to the visitors. Nobody will notice the so called 'bad' quality.

• Like 1

Think I might have found how to make very sharp edges 'painting' a printed surface.

I used masking tape and at first I pressed a tick black marker very hard half on the tape, half on the printed surface. Surprise because even I very hard pushed the masking tape onto the printed surface, it gave me this result :

image.jpeg.30a087f4caeebd8db675493e6ac79ca2.jpeg

image.jpeg.74bc89ccaf620bbf97395c6b0b44b1c9.jpeg

Second I tried another approach, instead of pushing both on the masking tape and the printed surface at the same time, I veeeery gently rubbed with the marker alongside the masking tape, and see what happens :

image.jpeg.bca81c493533e0277272cd2ade5fc21c.jpeg

image.jpeg.c6d786f6d1b305dffdfe7a3ca107d642.jpeg

Both techniques side by side :

image.jpeg.5d225d86d54e131b9b4c0d0ff0bf0f7e.jpeg

FYI,  the flaw in this part is I forgot to change settings in my slicer. So when a 0.7mm is set where 1.5mm should have used ...🙄

image.jpeg.bfe15a5008e518ceda6f7c83aaa18203.jpeg

• Like 1

Last week the manager of our observatory has for the first time seen that rocket I've just printed.
To make a long story short, I'm busy printing 3 more of these rockets. Two more parts to go and I'm done printing.
Probably today I'll start painting the black parts.
What I can't find is what they used for the lettering. I cant find what typeset 'USA' is written in.

• Like 3

I think that NasaLiza is the modern look.

I was thinking using these

Rev_Saturn_V_decal.jpg

image.png.bed5b2c102b88cacdc0a3000c6ecd9b4.png

image.png.762f4b60036d42347c071130227f6766.png

• Like 1

Loving this thread! I think I'm a long way from being able to do this but it's very inspirational!

• Like 1

My van is filled with rockets...😁
What would police think about my cargo if they discovered these in my van...

Nothing to fear, I could say, without a launcher...🤭

The fourth one I will paint later. Need to continue working on my bino now.

saturn-painted4.jpeg.45e0e704df0e009d797606e845036df5.jpeg

saturn-painted5.jpeg.00fcebdf539ddd808eb73d5d93460ab2.jpeg

saturn-painted6.jpeg.41f3f877e6551b05d60f523cf452d1e9.jpeg

• Like 4

Just installed these SaturnV rockets at our observatory.  Two were mounted on 500mm high console and others were mounted on a 1 meter high console. Standing 3 meters high, very impressive I might say.  Wonder what little children will think standing in front of these SaturnV rockets. I can imagine it will be most imposing.
Forgot to take a picture. I'll post one later.

• Like 4

Amazing thread and models, I just started this print and am overwhelmed by the effort you have gone through!

Thank you...

The manager of our observatory was very happy with these rockets... and challenged me to print the Hubble space telescope. 1/10 scale...!...😳
Needles to say I said yes.
The only problem is I don't have a printer that can handle this size...  Diameter of Hubble is 4.2 meter...🤔

• Like 1

Colab with @Gina on the giant printer? Look forward to seeing it when you do will be impressive.

• Haha 1

My Giant printer is in the upgrade process but shelved for the time being while I get some higher priority projects done.  Next incarnation should have a printing volume of 500mm x 500mm x 800mm but it may not quite reach this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upahill said:

Colab with @Gina on the giant printer? Look forward to seeing it when you do will be impressive.

Well, lets say Gina and I have about the same interests about printer-stuff, particularly about size...😁

• Like 2