Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Printing Saturn V (one more)

Chriske

It' s 50 years now, SaturnV, the Moon, but it's also the birth of our observatory were I live. So during open door mid September there's something to celebrate, it's in fact a double celebration.  For that occasion I'm planning to print a few scale models of that iconic SaturnV rocket.
Started to draw Saturn V a few days ago. The first stage is done and I printed a section of that first stage.
To speed up things a bit I will print that thing in SpiralVase modus. So in fact it's nothing more then a shell. To speed up things even more I'm using a 1.5mm nozzle.

My goal is to print that rocket as high as 2 meter, no gantry.
Tried printing at 60mm/s but that was a bit to fast for my 1.5mm nozzle. At layer 5 (in the picture) there kind of a rim, that suppose to be there. A bit higher up is another one , that's were I changed speed, so I need to print that again.
Instead of 1.1 hour(as my slicer said) the part in the picture took me about 1 h 25 m for this part.

Size of the part in the picture = 195mm diameter, hight of that first section(not stage) 100mm.
My guess : continuous printing,  it'll take about two days to print this rocket using that 1.5mm nozzle .
Going to print the very small and delicate parts with a smaller nozzle. The most upper thrusters(outside the LEM section, if I'm not mistaken) are VERY small indeed. If I let the 1.5mm do that thruster, well it'll be just a blob of filament imo  ...:laugh2:

To assemble this thing I drew and printed inside skirts. In these skirts are a few holes(close to the perimeter). During assembly I'll insert threaded rods through these holes. Every part is supported by nuts and washers. Printed as SpiralVase without that support that thing will  collapse in a minute.

Finished that second section, just to test the quality of the perimeter, and it looks very nice.

image.png.c3e1a9099c78ebb633598045ddfe1fc1.png

image.png.f2b66cd7a4c4f5bde502740f2f2e1132.png

• Like 4

Yeah, I've seen it.
Like it btw...!  A lot..!
Although I have a very good marriage, I wouldn't survive it, installing that hang-printer in our living room...:laugh2:

Now that I come to think of it. Throwing all furniture out. Starting to print in a completely empty living room.... how long would it take to print all new furniture in it.  THAT would be a cool project...Not...?

• Haha 2

I've thought about a hangprinter but haven't got an empty room.  Maybe one day.  Mind you, I promised myself I'd never build a "pink string and sealing wax" printer again!  I can't see a hangprinter being very accurate using umpteen metres of "pink string" braided fishing line cord even if it is "minimum stretch".

Nearly 5 hours of video :eek:  Goodness knows when I'll find the time to watch it! 🤣

I have watched other videos on the hangprinter in the past.

Edited by Gina

Love watching some of Thomas's build videos and livestreams - you kind of get lost in them a little and then poof! 5 hours gone.

That rocket is going to be seriously cool at 2m high. I just had to look up its size in comparison to others and suprised its as tall as BFR. How will you be finishing surfaces or just going with as is?

To be clear on the matter, this version of SaturnV is not what a regular printer 'out of the shop' can do. A 'shop-printer' actually can print that rocket, no problem there.
But I do combine a rather large rocket printed with a big nozzle. All parts of this 2 meter high SaturnV can be printed in about 2 days. Using a standard nozzle it would take me weeks to finish that same rocket.
When I go higher up, instead of that big 1.5mm nozzle, I'll be using a 0.7mm nozzle, and even higher when delicate parts need to be done, I'l switch to a standard 0.4mm nozzle. These little thrusters (almost on top of the rocket)are very small indeed. Maybe for these little thrusters I'll be using 0.2mm nozzles.

I do have a fast interchangeable hotend system(own design). Switching hotend takes me about 1 minute.

Just now, maw lod qan said:

I'm totally amazed at what everyone is doing with 3d printing. I'll be anxiously waiting for more photos.

PLA.
But you need to slice it in 3 processes.
As I already mentioned this rocket is just a shell. No internal parts.
The first 5mm is just a thick ring, to make things a bit stronger/stiffer. But there's a second goal to that ring. In all these parts with that same ring I print four 5mm holes.
Second process is SV modus
and the uppermost 3mm is a thin ring.

But for that to do, you need to apply 3 processes with completely different slicer settings. Is your slicer capable of doing that...?

3 hours ago, Chriske said:

Which one Neil...?

This one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:866068

But with the unsupported base here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2137325

Not sure whether to use the one or two section upper part.

(by the way, most of the NASA Saturn V is solid, making it heavy and slow to print, although I suppose you could use a very low fill percentage).LEM.thumb.JPG.e402167e3d598ba92384c9264325896d.JPG