Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

acr_astro

Charcoal sketch of the H alpha sun, 2019-07-01

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

as usual, I couldn't resist to create yet another charcoal sketch of the H alpha sun. It is relaxing for me to observe the proms and filaments and to try to catch them "as they are" on the paper. At first glance, the sun looks pretty similar - just at second glance and comparison with my other sketches, I have seen that it looks similar but always a bit different. The disc and the prominences are done with natural charcoal, just for the filaments, I needed a Koh-i-Noor artificial charcoal pen since it's darker.

20190701_Sun_H_alpha_small.JPG.e92075ff0ec5b045f82be2f4ba96e47b.JPG

Telescope: Lunt LS 50 THa B600 PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: July 1st, 2019 / 1015-1045 CEST
Technique: natural vine charcoal and Koh-i-Nor charcoal pen on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
Size: 24x31cm

Clear (and sunny) skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 7

Hi Achim,

You capture the flares etc just as I remember them from my days of having access to a H Alpha scope. Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MimasDeathStar
      I heard the sun wasn't very active at the moment. Is it still active when you look through H-Alpha? (I don't really understand the difference!)
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      now the summer heat seems to be gone. It's still sunny but not that hot anymore. Perfect weather for sketching for the H alpha sun:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-Cel 10mm
      Date & Time: August 30th, 2019 / 1230-1300 CEST
      Technique: reddish Koh-i-Noor Toison d'Or pastels and pastel pens on yellowish Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Clear and sunny skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      today once again, I did a charcoal sketch of our star bringing us 33°C before lunch time. The solar "north pole" is approximately at the prominence at the top of the sketch. The sketch is right-left flipped. Beside the orientation of the north pole, I figured out on the internet that the bright spot in the left area of the sketch is AR12745. The disc and parts of the prominences is done with natural charcoal. The filament and the dark areas of the prominences are done with the charcoal pen.

Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: July 23rd, 2019 / 1130-1200 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal and Koh-i-Nor charcoal pen on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      today morning I had a look at the GONG network images on the internet and set up my telescope to have a look at that awesome large prominence on the southeastern limb of our home star. First I concentrated on a sketch of just that wonderful prominence. After that, I created - as usual - a sketch of the full solar disc. I noticed that the prominence already had changed during my sketching time.

Eyepiece: TS HR Planetary 7mm
      Date & Time: June 28th, 2019 / 1045-1145 CEST
      Technique: natural vine charcoal on white Hahnemühle Ingres mould-made pastel paper
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.